Advice please!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello. ive started taking citalopram 20mg for 6 days now and feel worse, is this normal cos ive already weaned off sertraline because it wasnt working im just scared these wont work too. any feedback would be appreciated thanks

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yup ... it gets worse before it gets better.  Stick with it as it does get better.  Progress must be monitored in months, not weeks by the way.  All SSRI 's are not a quick fix, but if you persevere for months and months (however bad it gets) you'll find the wait is well worth it.

K x

• Posted

Yes - I would challenge anyone who says we are weak to give it a try!
  • Posted

Hi iv been taking 10mg citalopram for over 5 years now but recently went through abit of a life trauma which triggered my anxiety and depression to come back, iv since been put up to 20mg and the first week I felt great I'm now on week 4 and getting bad headaches, I'm constantly tired and have to have naps during the day, feel spaced out, can't concentrate on anything for long, get figgety and agitated, feel more anxious than before... I could go on... It got to the point today I broke down to my husband and said I don't know if I can cope how my heads feeling as it felt like I had taken a step back rather than forward but after reading a lot of posts on here I have decided I'm going to persevere with these awful side effects as I know when my body completely adjusts to the new dose the positives will out weigh the negatives. for now I feel rather emotionless and not much enthusiasm to do anything but I am going to keep pushing myself and am determined to get through it

In answer to your question tho yes I think it's completely "normal" to have these side affects for the first month or 2 xxx

• Posted

That's the spirit Becs, even though we all know it ain't easy! Just wanted to say we are here for you and keep this in mind always.

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Cheryl keep going that's what my doc says I'm on day 16 and I'd been on it 5 yrs til 4 weeks ago when it got changed I didn't AV side effects first time this time I AV but I'm keeping going I've had four really bad days in last five but mg doc says in first few weeks it can be like that so keep going as long as it's not getting worse after two weeks like I was on sertraline we will get there all of us together x
    • Posted

Hello Sarah. I've been on citalopram 20 for 2 weeks now and I actually feel worse, I'm not sure if this is normal but I'm thinking of stopping them, x
  • Posted

Hi I'm new to this my husband has been given citalopram 20mg for GAD he's been on them 17 days we have 2 young children and I work full time I've taken some holiday time to help as he's a stay at home dad but how do I know when to take a step back I don't want him to feel worse as he already worries that he puts to much on me I know that that is part of the gad and the meds
    • Posted

Hi Tracey,

It is fantastic that you are there for your husband and understand. I am also blessed that my Fiancee (who knew little about "work related stress") was here for me when I fell ill over ten months ago.

Firstly, I would suggest you start a new discussion for direct support and get some more advice from those in the same position.Then try and get your husband to come to the forum himself there are plenty of us chaps here so he won't be alone!

GAD like all of these illnesses can be controlled with meds and an excellent support structure and here is one of the best places to find it.

Neither you nor your husband are alone we are here for you too. It may be that we really care or we're just darn nosey! Only you will know come the end (a little tip - tis the former!) when things level out and are in perspective.

So don't hesitate get an all persons post out and we look forward to chatting with your husband!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you David I've started a new post my husband won't discuss how he feels with anyone else other than me the doc suggested cbt but he wasn't sure just going to try ride the meds out first he's had a bad few days things were looking up
    • Posted

Morning Tracy,

Well, at least your husband knows we're here should he ever wish to and everyone should be respectful of that. One positive is that he will talk to you and the Dr, communication is so important in these instances and sometimes and generally it takes a little bit more coaxing for us men. Obviously this is compounded with what ails us.

I noticed that you haven't had any replies to your post yet - I guess the lazy burgers are still in bed! Lol!

I hope your husband has a better week ahead (and therefore all of you).

Take care, keep reading etc.

Best Wishes,

David

• Posted

Hi Tracey

I was ill from 1980 to 1995 and I didn't discuss my illness with anyone other than my husband or doctor - I just couldn't for fear of thought of as a weirdo - I didn't know others suffered as I did.  So for 15 long years, I suffered alone.  When I started SSRI's I slowly recovered and have been well ever since.

Last year my son fell foul to this illness too and it was very painful watching him go through exactly the same terrifying symptoms as I had done.  It took him around 6 months to start feeling well after starting SSRI's too.  He's now well again.

It wasn't until last year that I came on this site for my son and found I could eventually talk about my experience with this illness and tell my friends.  The more people I talked to, the more I realise that many people I know have suffered too.  It's really good to talk as it helps with the healing.

During my illness I read loads about the subject - it really helps.  Maybe your husband could read some of the posts on here rather than actually participating in any discussions.  Reading, understanding, sharing experiences helped me to unravel some of the mystery of this illness - which in turn took some of the 'sting out of the tail'.  

This is a physical illnes.

The meds will take a long time to work, but if he sticks at it and just keeps going and going, he will start feeling well in time.

K x

• Posted

Thank you

He has been ready blogs and Internet searches but then seems to over think the things that have happened to other people and then asks why he can't be doing as well as them or why 'am I feeling like this on this day and they aren't ' all I can so is reassure him that this is normal whilst the meds start to level out I wish I knew how hard it was for you all standing in the outside watching your loved one struggle is hard enough I don't want to do to much and take over but I also don't want him to feel like I've distanced myself and he's on his own

• Posted

When you're ill you do overthink, and often look on the gloomy side too - it's natural.  When you're in the midst of it all you can't ever see a way out, can see other people getting well but don't think it'll happen for you.  I was exactly the same.  It's a very strange, frightening and tiresome illness as you think about it every second of the day.  It seems relentless and it's hard to see your own progress too.  Tell your husband that each small progress should be counted in months, not weeks.  It really is very slow.

Wven if he gets worse, he must keep going as healing is still working on the inside.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks Kate it must be so hard to have to go through it yourself and then have to watch your child to go through it aswell I am amazed at what the human body and mind can deal and equally amazed at the ignorance of it all although I didn't know a great deal till now and I am still very much learning I couldn't imagine ignoring it and just shrugging it off as some people seem to do.he's not had to bad a day today I know this can change tho
    • Posted

Yes was bad enough suffering all those years ago, but even more heartbreaking watching my son go through this illness last year.  He's doing really well now :-D

Yes I always think it's amazing what the body and mind can deal with - depressed people are incredibly strong people, having to deal with the illness.  Many people are ignorant about this illness, but only because they've never had to deal with it - and it's often mistaken for just feeling blue.  It's unfortunately far more horrendous than that.

A lot of depressed or anxious people have low levels of serotonin, our happy hormones.  Without it, or low levels, it can make you feel very unwell and unable to function properly.  The SSRI medication hangs onto our serotonin before reuptake to the brain, making us feel happier and able to function normally.  Takes a while for the levels to settle, but it's worth waiting for.  Took 6 months before my son started feeling well again.

In time your husbands bad days will get less and less until he feels well all the time.  Remember, it could be 6 months, but probably less.

K x

• Posted

Pleased that your sons is doing well now the doctor said that GAD can be genetic I've not looked much into this my daughter is very much like my husband and worries about things she doesn't need to she's only little so I don't want to read to much into things and find problems were there aren't any.
    • Posted

I doubt very much your daughter would have the same problems though - in my sons case it was a combination of certain situations that caused it.  Some people thrive on stress and some people just don't.

You have nothing to worry about with your daughter - many people can be worriers and will be absolutely fine.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate

Are you still on cit not to bad a day today he's a bit miffed that the weathers changed but he's been out with the dog so that's a step forward

• Posted

Yes I am, but have reduced it to 5mg now.  I came off over a year ago and was doing well on 5-HTP, but I restarted Cit when my son became ill as it started to affect me and I didn't want to slip backwards.  I needed to stay strong for him, so restarted Cit 20mg.  Have reduced over many months and will stay on 5mg til next year until after my daughters wedding - I don't want to rock the boat until after then.

Its good getting out into the fresh air - exercise of any kind helps burn up excess anxiety and releases endorphins, making us feel good.

Yes it's been raining here for 2 days now ..... but still strangely warm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.