Advice please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm now 7 weeks post op and have detected something sharp (and painful!) through the perineum. I've been experiencing a lot of discomfort in that area and on the right side of my groin particularly when sitting for a long period. I had a feel in my groin and like I said I can feel a sharp point. Is this a stitch and do I need to see the dr or will it gradually go away? Any advice welcome! 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If it's the same as I had it was a stitch it was dry and really sharp. I closely inspected the area and managed to get the stitch out did have a little blood when removing but only like a pin prick bathed it with antiseptic and never looked back the relief was unbelievable. That's if yours is the same thing.

• Posted

That was brave! What I can feel is under the skin though so even if I wanted to I couldn't remove it. 

• Posted

Go have a check up its prob a stitch I had a sharp undisdolvrd one removed by my surgeon at post op check
  • Posted

It's not advisable to remove any yourself. 7wks is still early days. What if it's acmain one holding your repair in place at this stage! Stitches can still be there at 15wks. If it's causing you grief then a Dr. is the one to decide if it can be removed.

• Posted

I couldn't even if I wanted to! I can feel it through the skin. I think I will se the dr if only to reassure me it's not something left behind after the op! 

• Posted

Hi Gaynor sound like a stitch. It shoul dissolve but if its uncomfortable go to GP or Nurse to check for infection or if stitch needs to be removed. Don't suffer it 

• Posted

Went to see my gp. She says it's a stitch. There's no sign of infection so it's just a waiting game! I'm back on codeine so also back on lactulose too so I don't get constipated. I'm feeling very fed up! 😞

• Posted

gaynor it can take up to 16 weeks for all the sutures to dissolve so yes it's a waiting game. This surgery tests most of our patience because recovery takes so long but the longer your sutures are in situ the better because they hold the repair in place much better. It's normal to feel fed up, I know I did but you are half way there now so enjoy the warmer weather and look after yourself x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.