Advice Please.....

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi girls........so I did it...I broke down and took an antidepressant for the horrible anxiety that I all of a sudden have..i think from peri. Day 1 was ok...day 2 was great...day 3 (yesterday) was anxiety and nervousness like I have NEVER experienced before. I can eat, or sleep, and the nausea is unbearable. my psychiatrist told me not to take today's pill, which I happily obliged. anyway- any thoughts or advise? I only took for 3 days and still feel like hell. Im so scared on top of it all.....help :-(

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lovely sorry to hear you are feeling so rubbish.

What antidepressant are you taking when I started taking Citalopram I felt sick as a dog for a week but it takes 2 weeks to kick in and feel better.

Big hugs

• Posted

Hi Jill, what AD and dosage?  You will experience anxiety while taking an AD as a side effect...until it can reconfigure your brain so to speak.  I had heightened anxiety after a month on Lexapro.  I started at 5mg then finally got to 10mg on my 3rd month.  Some days, around my period, it makes me a little worse, so I skip it here and there.  Unless you are having serious side effects...it is probably just your anxiety in overdrive right now because something new in in your body.  
    • Posted

Ok, I lasted 1 day on Prozac...however, I was impatient.  I had very bad GI issues...then I tossed them.  I would give it 2 weeks for expected side effects.  There so many different ADs.  I had also tried Mirtazapine, lasted 2 days...horrible migraines.  I finally settled on Lexapro.  It is hard to deal with side effects when you feel so lousy...I know.  I waited so long to decide to take them and I wanted it to work immediately.  But, it does take some time.  😐

• Posted

I had terrible nausea from day 1, it lasted about a week.  I had to drink shakes because food was unappealing.  Then, more side effects came in phases.  
  • Posted

Yes I tried AD’s twice and was just awful for me ...  nervous vomiting sweating profusely diarrhea . I believe if you continue through it it does actually work but if getting on it is so tough .... dread to think what ‘coming off’ is like ! 
    • Posted

I’m on Prozac... 10 mg.

The nervousness is awful. I’ve walked around the block 100 times. Slept 30 min last night.. threw up what very little shake I got down. I am in hell, y’all. This is unbearable..

For those that have tried ADs, did the side effects go away eventually??? I’m just so terrified!!!!

• Posted

hi jill im on antidepressants and have been for many years i take sertraline but you will find they do help it  took me 3 wks to get into my Systom the side effects will go maybe you may need to try a different AD one that doesnt have so many side effects But just give them time to work x

• Posted

hi jill,

I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time. all of us have had anxiety at one time or another with this horrible thing called menapause. for me, taking an AD wasn't for me, the reason being that it did not treat the anxiety at all. AD's are mainly for depression and I dont suffer from that ( thank goodness). everyone is different and makes the right choices for them. i know how scary it all is, not knowing what's meni and what's not because it seems to be something new every day. for example, today my legs and knees really hurt, it feels like i have been run over from the waist down. tomorrow it will be something else. it sounds like you have had a reaction to the AD though. i dont have any quick fixes for you, other then to tell yourself that this to shall pass. anxiety is a horrible thing because it really does cause so many other issues as well. just know that you are not alone, hugs?😊

• Posted

Thats why I dont mess with that depression medicine and i have horrible horrible panic and anxiety! The next time mine gets unbearable I'm just going to drink wine!

• Posted

Well I have a ‘rescue spray ‘ and I’m sure it’s all alcohol .... definitely takes the edge off .. don’t blame you ! 

• Posted

Hi I tried escitalopram last year and tried to stick it out until it helped..I had heard that you need to push through the horrible side effects (which I had very badly, nausea, fatigue, weird head feelings, dizzy, “zaps”, no better anxiety and even into the 3rd week I felt horrible so I stopped. It also made my stomach absolutely awful for a couple weeks afterwards..not worth it to me but my Dr swears “everyone loves it”...hmm I can’t imagine loving any of what I experienced...I do wish there was a pill to take that would help with no side effects...but doesn’t everyone??😓 I try to walk and stay hydrated and give myself a break (which I’m not used to and it’s hard for me to do that anyway) Listen to your own body, if it’s not right or working for you, talk to Dr or taper off of it..take care and know someone is always here to listen 😊

• Posted

Hiya Jill

The same happened to me with amitryptoline. I only took it for 5 days and was so much worse and scared rigid. I hear that it can be that way before it gets better, but after suffering due to the hormones I just couldn't take pushing through AD as well. I now take over the counter kalms, and see a hypnotherapist which helps. I so wish I could find a tablet to fix it, but I don't think it suits for everyone. Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Sassy-

How long did it take for it to get out of your system???😢

• Posted

Hi Jill. I've suffered from depression and anxiety most of my life. Over the years I think I've been prescribed just about every AD there is. What REALLY worked for me was the anti anxiety med Ativan. I remember when taking Prozac I couldn't even cry if I tried. Zoloft was the last AD I tried. When I stopped cold turkey, I remember vomiting and diarrhea. Had no real side effects while taking it. Just the general numbness that any AD causes. I came off Ativan 2 years ago, and WOW! The peri symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks. My plan is to talk to my GP about getting back on it. I called it my happy pill. The way peri is making me feel I am about ready to try ANYTHING. I'd rather be numb than feel like crap and be a hermit. My life has been a nightmare that is getting worse with each month with no period. Hope you find help.

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

how often did you take the Ativan? I have been taking the klonopin everyday for about 3 days now for the terrible anxiety coming off the prozac. its just once a day but I am scared to death of getting addicted. was this a concern of yours?

• Posted

Kalms not kales.... spellcheck ugh
    • Posted

Hi Jill...I took .5 mg of Ativan twice a day for about 5 years. I've been perscribed klonopin also. Becoming addicted was a concern. And I was definately dependent on it. The withdrawals are VERY much like peri has been for me. That's why I want to take it again. The anxiety is the WORST!

• Posted

That may just be your Peri ? I’m taking more Xanax than I ever have to get through this .. mainly to sleep as without a solid sleep I’m screwed the next day ! 
    • Posted

Oh for sure, Lori! Same here these days. I KNOW I need something for anxiety. Lately I've been drinking a few beers to help with sleep. I take melatonin and cbd oil too. It's CRAZY! No wonder we feel like we're dying! Back in the day I was an aerobics instructor. Always in great shape, slender, etc. Now have 10 lbs. of extra weight. Mostly around the tummy. Ugh! NOTHING helps!

• Posted

Yes I have a couple of drinks take Cbd too plus melatonin plus sleeping pill at least when I’m asleep I don’t have to deal with the depression lethargy and fatigue ... it’s all

A nightmare that I want to be over soon . Can’t stand it ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.