Advice please on getting in the bath?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am due to have my right knee replaced on July 10th, not long to go now!!

i have not been in the bath for over 2 years now due to pain & stiffness.

Luckily I have a shower!!!

i just wondered will I be able to get in and out the bath after my op? Obviously not at 1st in the early days/weeks after the op?

Love to hear people's experiences of this! It would be lovely to have a bath again eventually!!

0 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I too am waiting for TKR (July 21st) and also don't bathe because of difficulties getting in and out. That doesn't concern me too much as I prefer a shower anyway but I would be interested to hear from anyone about what they are able to do post op. A lot refer to the pain immediately afterwards but how do things improve, say 3 months afterwards? Is there less pain than pre-op? I would like to enjoy long walks again or a day out shopping. I hope you will enjoy a bath again.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer 

Im 10 weeks post op now. I am pain free during the day but keep active i go on long walks with my dog alone now . I even went dress shopping alone last week. I have just returned from beach break and drove 150 miles each way without pain . I could walk across a pebble beach (with caution ). The only thing i find is my walking is tons better but i do get swelling after i sit from my walk Im told this is normal. So i just ice pack it each night. I have stopped all prescribed meds now and only feel discomfort through the night. I manage this by using a pillow to support my operated knee . I do usually take chemist bought sleepeze pills to help me drift off.

Hope this helps 

• Posted

Thanks Pegs. It's encouraging to hear that you are walking so well. I really look forward to that. I'm not looking forward to the op and the initial pain though but know I've got to go through it to gain in the long run. Hope your recovery continues to go well. 
    • Posted

I am almost six weeks post op.  I got into the tub for the first time last night,   I felt it was about as difficult as it was pre-op because I do not have full bend yet.   Personally, I'm going to stick with a shower a bit longer.  I do not think the risk of slip/fall is worth the bath at this point.   I also was told from my doctor not to even consider a bath until incision was FULLY healed.   Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Schu

Had my right knee replaced 10 weeks ago. I was able to take a bath once my dressing and sutures all removed .

I will try and explain how i managed it but thinking about it now does make me giggle. 

I only put a small amount of water in bath an made sure not too hot. I put left leg in and held onto both sides of bath and sort of hopped my right leg over side and keeping operated leg straight i lowered myself down. Once in i put more water in. After your soak pull plug and allow all water to escape before getting out . Reversing the method of getting out using left leg to take weight i turned round so i could get left leg on floor 1st then brought right knee too edge of bath and dried it then allowed the leg to come to floor with support of your hands. All sounds complicated now but once you have done it it gets easier . I found i would attempt to bend knee better in the warm water. Incidentally i also have shower but found standing in it more scary as my operated leg was wobbly and had had fear of slipping . So stuck with bath for about a month. I don't however have handrails in the shower so if you do this may support you better than me.

Good luck 

• Posted

BTW, I forgot to add that I was given a shower chair on discharge.  So when allowed to shower after surgery, it was much easier sitting down in the chair than trying to stand.  
  • Posted

Hi...Best of luck with the op..it will be worth it! I'm seven weeks in and am more mobile than I was eight weeks ago!Had to  go to ireland last week to see my pregrant daughter stayed in a hotel with an over bath shower...put the good leg in bent towards the taps and in came the op leg! Felt pretty nervous as the bath didnt have one of those knobbly mats in but it worked.Not sure about lying down tho.Most important advice? persevere with the post op exercises..if they dont hurt you aint doing them right!
  • Posted

I do not thing you will be able to do so for a number of weeks. I  am after in my 8th week now and I would not dream of geting into the bath.

All the best for your op.

• Posted

I am 4 months out TKR...yes you will be able to bathe.....I also used a seat in the tub for a few days and then was able to shower...I actually found myself doing some of my exercises in the tub when I was able to take a bath. Straightening and bending the knee.....My expectations were great...I have found that it takes patience with TKR....I still have swelling....do as you are told and take it easy....Good Luck With Your Surgery...
    • Posted

Thank you Busy Me, that is reassuring to here, sounds like you are doing really well!! It's my last day at work today before my op on Thurs!! It all seems very real now!!
  • Posted

Very disappointing news yesterday, my op has been cancelled!

I feel very down at the moment as was looking forward to getting it done and on the road to a new start?

I have been given a new date which is August 14th.

Anyone else had their op cancelled at short notice?

• Posted

Hi, I was due for my op on June 25th then it was postponed till July 21st. I was given more notice of the change than you so I sympathise with you. It must be awful to be told the day before! I'm really hoping mine will go ahead as planned on the 21st. Try to occupy yourself with other things until August. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.