advice...plz

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi every1,

im pretty new to Orlistat (2months) and im beginning to loose my faith in it. My dr's said that theres nothing wrong with my diet anyway (i eat roughly 1000cal a day), nothing wrong with my bloods and just that i have IBS.

Still im seeing no result. i have not lost anything! its getting me down as i read several posts where people have stated how much weight their loosing!

My mum seems to think that im just not \"big enough\"... im 19, 5'4 and 13 1/2 stone, BMI of 34 so im well into the obese category.

i also dont seem to be able to get rid of the side effects... im not eating fatty foods yet im having to wear pads 24/7 due to orange oil which stinks, i have really bad wind, headaches, stomach cramps, constipation- yet it follows through with diarroehea

I cant go on any of the other tabs either bcoz i was treated for clinical depression in the past

is it time for me to consider surgery?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Honey,

It sounds like you may be one of the few people that this drug may not suit!

Sometimes people do not eat ENOUGH calories and even if you have a healthy diet, if you don't eat enough your body will grab what it can and store it instead of using it :shock: :!:

I know it sounds silly but it's true, honest!

I really think you should try all the options before even considering surgery :twisted: It is not a thing to go into lightly and you may find that you're not big enough to even be considered. But that's for you and your GP to discuss.

I was referred by my GP to a group run by my local Primary Care Trust (so it should be available throughout the country) I attended for 12 wks and was given support and info on diet, they weighed me each week and we had a discussion. I found it really helpful, it was like weight watchers but I didn't have to pay :!: The main thing they did and I strongly recommend it, was give me a British Heart Foundation Booklet called So You Want To Lose Weight For Good! It sets it out in portions protein, carbs, fruit & veg, fats & oils etc and you even get 150 cals a day to treat yourself :!: I lost 2 1/2 stone using this method before I plateaued and the GP gave me the Orlistat. If you want to, you can get the booklet from the website give it a go. After all you've got nothing to lose but weight :!:

[i:5946694c9a]Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a postal and an email address from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum. [/i:5946694c9a]

Hope this has helped you.

TTFN Kal :wink:

• Posted

Hi There

I dont post as much as some of the others on here but i do take orlistat and have had all the side effects which made me feel awful so i can sympathise with you, i was also told by my gp that my diet wasent my problem as i didnt seem to overeat and to try taking the blueys twice a day instead of 3 times ,i even dropped down to 1 a day just with my main meal making sure the other 2 meals that day were non or very low fat. I was ready to give up taking them altogether as the side effects just didnt seem worth it but then i figured taking 1 or 2 a day with the meals that contain the most fat is better than taking none, I dropped 8 pounds in the first week then the side effects kicked in and i havent lost anything since and am now into my 9th week, HOWEVER the scales say i havent lost anymore weight but i now wear a medium polo shirt instead of a l/xl so im not sure whats going on with me. Drink plenty of water all day long and just take a bluey before a fatty meal.

Hope this helps Alicat

• Posted

thanks alicat, im glad to hear im not the only one struggling so much! ive actually been told to take 3 a day with meals and ive skipped a few tablets occassionally when ive not really eaten much or not eaten atal - hopefully if i stick to it eventually something will happen.. i tell u one thing im always hungry now!
  • Posted

Hiya,

I don`t think ur eating enough chick. 1000 cals a day is pretty low.

Try a wee increase and see what happens.

• Posted

Yeh i agree eat a little more and see if it works better for you.You may not be big enough for sugery.

Good Luck anyway :D

• Posted

I definitely think you need to increase your calories and make sure ther is some fat in your diet too. I was advised to make sure evey item I ate had 5g or less in 100g then you look at how much you eat per meal by adding up the fat content. Keep below 15g in total. Try eating a bit more and see what happens

Good luck

KJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.