Advice regarding delayed discontinuation symptoms when coming off Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I will be reducing my dosages of Citalopram within the next month until I am completely off it, which will be approx. in 6 months.  I have tried the cold turkey method when I was on it years ago and will never forget those head shocks or spasms and then suddenly feeling very depressed and anxious.  My memory is a bit vague but am sure I felt good after the initial withdrawal then a few months later that's when it hit me.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice they can offer me to try and avoid this.  My main concern is keeping my job so do not want that affected and they have been very patient with me so far.

I have also read, that the toughest bit is tapering gradually from the last 10mg.

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would also like to know if anyone's Tinnitus or headaches have disappeared when they have come off them.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi I’m currently tapering off citolapram I’m down to 2.5 mg. for me when I reduced a dose I would have what I would say are acute withdrawals for two weeks which include dizziness, shaky feelings, stomach issues etc. Then these settle however it’s usually about the 2-3 month mark or it has been 5 month mark when the withdrawals hit me it’s so strange.  I would just suggest you get a pill cutter and go very slowly because although at times I have felt bad I haven’t missed any work. I think you have to be willing to stay at each dose a good number of months and if withdrawals are to bad just go back to your previous dose. Be kind to yourself x 
    Report Reply
    • Posted

Kirby, Thank you so much for your wonderful reply, what you say makes sense to what happened to me in my past which until now I didnt put down to withdrawals. Its very clear to me that I am going to have to be very patient. Due to the long half life I am going to start my taper by alternating between 20 and 15mg. I have a few pill cutters only because they are not accurate and havent managed to find a good one, am going to opt for liquid and syringe method for more accuracy. You have made me feel better regarding work too.

How did tapering affect your concentration?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, it’s been funny with concentration levels along the withdrawal process at some points I have felt better and more focused than when I was on a higher dose but sometimes I experience the feeling of not really being here like in a bubble if that makes sense. I have read a lot about the subject of withdrawal and a lot of people describe it as windows and waves which seem to be happening to me at the moment. The windows where I feel good and then waves which seem to last around 2 weeks at a time when I feel bad. The bad times at the minute I am experiencing racing heart, anxiety , an off balance feeling and being very irritable. I feel like I can cope with it though as it is milder than when I have reduced previously to quickly. I have accepted this withdrawal might take years and I am ok with that. I think personally it’s much better to do it slowly and your body and mind can slowly learn to cope with life again without the tablets. 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I forgot to mention all the advice I have had from people who have been through withdrawal I’d DONT alternate your dose. This messes with your brain chemicals even more than a drop in dosage. 
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kirky

I think I will try the 10% taper rather than the alternating dose, I have just got back in from seeing my friends today for the first time in a while they said I look rough, great! that's from coming off amitryptline, have looked better ha!  I am pleased I started this thread now, have things to think on, thank you so much for your time.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Your reply helps a lot.  I am expecting anxiety and do not underestimate how tough this is going to be. I can kindof work around the concentration thing as my concentration up until recently has been terrible.  I am an account manager in sales and my job involves face to face work, so have to be alert or in my case act alert and keep writing everything down.
      Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Paula,

I’ve started weaning off Citalopram approximately 3 weeks ago. I was on 20mg and halved the dose to 10mg. Was fine in the first two weeks but now came back home for a week and had a horribly stressful situation with missingg my plane. Not sure if it’s the withdrawal symptoms or the emotions and stress, but I have been feeling horrible. My anxiety levels are up, I have night sweats, shaking sometime and cannot focus at all. So I don’t know what to do.. do you think I should up my dose or keep with this and the symptoms will go away? 

Thanks in advance and hope you feel better!

Simona

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up