Advise for a hyperthyroid patient

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, im a 25 female who within the past two to three years have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I have history of A.M.L ( acute myeloid leukemia) when I was 14. Reason I am seeking advise is because no one in my family has hyperthyroidism, and I'm haveing surgery the 19th to have half of my thyroid taken out. They did a biopsy of one of the nodules and it came back cancer free. At the beginning of November my doctor told me that the nodule on my thyroid in a time period of two years had grown from a .3cm to a 5. Yes I have times where it feels like my own throught is swollen shut at times lol. I had a second opinion done and they told me that a biopsy needle can only reach so far , and that the back of my nodule still had a chance of cancer being there. I was informed way back when I seen an Ent doctor that i could do radioactive iodine (i think thats what it is called) or surgery. Advised me against surgery because of the risks as well. Now I am told by the second doctor monday that I had no choice in any other treatment but to have half of the thyroid taken out. i have a four year old, so Im willing to do the surgery to rule out cancer and get on with my life..But my questions are...

1: Has anyone went threw the same thing/Told surgery was the only option

2: Has anyone only had half the thyroid taken out/ did you still have to take medicine your whole life after.

3: Did you have any side affects left from having the surgery

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had nodules found in my thyroid during the ultrasound, but my doctor said a few in your thyroid is quite common. Mine weren't cancerous and have grown too, but it isn't anything emergent from what I've been told. However with your medical history I have no idea what to say. It could be nothing.

My thyroid is the size of half my neck wrapped around, but they don't want to do surgery for me.

• Posted

Also, you should try medicine before RAI or surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Angela

I have over twenty nodules on the thyroid. Thought to be non cancerous but biopsy not done as on warfarin.

I cannot have any meds due to Long qt syndrome.

I am afraid of having rai but cannot bear feeling like I do.

• Posted

From what my doctor has told me, RAI isn't anything to be concerned about. For me I can't do it because your stuck in a room for 3 days, and I have nobody to watch my daughter during that time.

I would go for RAI if I could!

I just don't want to end up on medication for the remainder of my life, and I'm sure everyone else would agree that that doesn't sound ideal.

Are you leaning more towards RAI, or surgery?

• Posted

Hello again Angela

I thought that I would send you this in a further response to your question as to whether I was leaning towards surgery or RAI for the thyroid nodules.

I have decided to go for RAI if it is offered to me again.

The reason for this is as follows.

Last night saw the return of a persistent irritating cough and a sensation of food and drink sticking to the left side of my throat.After putting up with this and wondering why  the cough had returned I went into the kitchen only to discover that unbeknowns to me my darling hubby had decided to make a homemade concoction aka soup. This soup consisted of  sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes and half a leek.

I suspect that it was the fumes from the leek which as you know is a member of the onion family that caused the return of the bouts of coughing plus burning sensation in my throat and tingling of my eyes.

I have now banned my hubby from making any more soup especially if it should contaain onions,leeks or garlic.

I am getting over a chest and throat infection so I am hoping that these signs and symptoms are due to the infection.

I hope that these fumes have not done anything to the nodules.

Anyway I thought it best to get rid of the nodules with RAI rather than surgeryas medication is contraindicated.I feel churned up about this and have only eaten a couple of bananas , an avocado pear and had several cups of tea.

the sensation of something sticking is still there but the coughing has stopped. Touch wood!

I feel quite worried about this and have been trying to distract myself .

Hopefully it will have cleared up by tomorrow. Cindy.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that! Good thing you banned it until further notice. I too have some obstruction from my thyroid. Mine is so big that it feels like I have food stuck in my throat, and sometimes I do.

This has gone on for years. I got my tonsils out a year about because I thought that was the reason. It may have been a combination of the two though.

It sucks trying to find something to eat that'll go down smooth and still give you energy.

Let's be honest, I'm sure everyone would love to live off of ice cream and frozen juice pops, but that's not enough substance.

Any time I have had troubles with eating solid foods I've pretty much stuck to beef/chicken broth, apple sauce, and room temp mashed potatoes.

I'm sorry to hear about all that pain you're in 😢

Hopefully things start looking up soon!

Ang

• Posted

Hi Ang

Thanks for your reply.

I sometimes have a 3 egg cheese ommelette just for the protein.

I wondered if eating bacon, salmon or anything obviously spicy or with preservatives in causes an irritation to the throat as wel.. I too had my tonsils rmoved severqal years ago due to a peri tonsillar abcess. It sometimes feels like the start of the same infection. Perhaps it is just a chronic throat infection or referred ear pain etc.

It has not been as bad this evening but there again he has not dared to heat any food up or to have that horrendous soup!

He had  sandwich instead.

I will try to make some bone broth when my throat gets over this set back. Have u got a recipe for it. If so I would be grateful if u could perhaps pm me with it if you don't mind.

Cindy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.