Afraid of getting anxious

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering from intense anxiety for the past few weeks. I started an antidepressant (celexa) to help. I am only on 5mg and it's been exactly 2 weeks. I get the dosage upped to 10 mg tomorrow. Today is the least anxious I have felt in weeks. I can tell the difference already. I have a girlfriend, and my anxiety made me feel like I didn't want to be around her. I have gotten a lot better and I just spent 5 days with her on vacation. I'm not having the obsessive doubts anymore, but I am so scared of getting anxious when I see her. I know it sounds crazy, but I am anxious about the idea of getting anxious. Has anyone been through this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i think you will find everyone on this forum who suffers from anxiety will have been through this. I certainly do and I'm going to mention it when I get my first cbt on Wednesday. Anxiety scares the sh*t out of me because I just don't function. I don't eat sleep and I cut people off. It's not something I want to suffer from for the rest of my life so hopefully cbt will give me ways to cope should I ever find myself in this situation again x

• Posted

May I asked what caused the anxiety. I am very afraid of medications so I've never been on any I haven't had this type of anxiety for many years and yes I was anxious about being anxious.
    • Posted

The anxiety was brought on by stress and a lot of people coming in and out of my life. I moved about a year ago, and the transition was super easy... Ended a 3 year relationship... Also easy. But starting school and introducing my new girlfriend to my family triggered a lot of anxiety.
  • Posted

I can't go anywhere cos I get anxious about the idea of being anxious, I've gone through this ( I am only 13 so not with a girlfriend/boyfriend situation though  ) 
  • Posted

Maybe something about your girlfriend triggers your anxiety. Try to figure out what it is. Then you can work on the triggers. Yes, I get anxious about being anxious. Congrats on your relationship and introducing her to your family. That can be what made you anxious. It's a big step and I would think normal to feel anxious. Good luck!
    • Posted

I think that a part of it was introducing her to my family for sure. The thing is, I feel calmest when I am with her. And anxious when I am not with her. I was for a while (not as much now) wondering if I even loved her at all. And it's silly, of course I love her! But I get anxious that when I see her I am gonna feel anxious or not get butterflies in my stomach. After spending 5 days with her and having a great time with her, I know I want to be with her, I just want the anxiety to stop!
    • Posted

:-) That's beautiful! Sounds like a beautiful thing! Something is making you feel this way. Try to figure out what it is. Could be you are afraid or concerned that you are falling for her for some reason. Idk but something is making you feel this way. Best of luck!
  • Posted

It sounds to me cosmic, you have all the symptoms of being in love my friend.

Enjoy it

John

• Posted

I hope that's what it means! I thought it meant I wasn't in love with her anymore. I was so nervous/contemplating breaking up with her constantly. But then I spent time with her... And I feel so comfortable.
    • Posted

I know when I fell in love, I knew it! It's years and I've not seen him but I'm as much in love with him as the day we met! No, more than when we met. I always got butterflies and got nervous. My life was perfect when I saw him! I was safe and felt on top of the world. I could die my life felt so complete. He was perfect to me and that's all that mattered. I lost the love of my life to my stupidity... so if she's it, cherish her. If you are in love with her, you'll know. Just my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.