Afraid To Get Off Olanzapines

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, 

Hope all of you are well. 

O.K. so here it is, I've been on zyprexa for 6 months, my doctor has cut back my dosage to 2.5 mg a day. I was on zyprexa do to a psychotic break down caused by hallucinogenics. 

I have to admit that my life has not been the same since I started the medication, I find it really hard to connect ideas as I use to. I'm a writter and my writing has gone down the drain since startiing on zyprexa, of coursed it saved my life because I was on the edge of suicide. 

Even though I'm not back to "normal" normal, like how I was before taking the drug (hallucinogenic) my doctor says I'm well enough to stop taking the olanzapine but to be honest I'm scared beyond words. I've read all the horrible withdrawal symttoms and I'm afraid to get off it. I tried quitting on it a few months ago but after 3 days I started throwing up horribly. I don't know why but for some dumb reason I keep believe that "tomorrow" will be better, but months have gone by and I'm so AFRAID of leaving the olanzpine. Any advice, suggestions... 

P.S. sorry for the bad grammar and spelling mistakes english is not my first language. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you decide to off of Olanzpine if it is a benzo, please taper slow.Ashton Method has helped alot of people taper you can Google it. I stopped xanax cold turkey not by choice it's been 5 months and it had been Hell On Earth. Not only that there's alot of risk not to scare you but you can die from it. Taper slowely. I'm exsperiencing high heart rate it's been hell mu pulse goes to 140 just bathing so please be careful and I wish you the very best smile

• Posted

Olanzpine is a atypical antipsychotic and a dopamine antagonist and there are no clear guidlines given when reducing and withdrawing from this medication, so I can well understand your anxiety. You can try get support when withdrawing from this drug from on line forums or get support from a local group if you have any.

You will need support from you GP and ask if he can get you any support from drug charities or mental health charities specific to your individuals needs.

It is good that your life has improved but you require support when stopping this very potent drug.

I hope you get the support and have success and your writing get back to normal as does your life.

• Posted

Do you any good forums for olanzapine withdrawal? Ok so I tappered down, called my doctor yesterday and he said to tapper down to 1/4th of the 5 mg pill, I'm still afraid though. 

I do feel like I need support. or maybe someone that can give me hope about quitting this drug

• Posted

Yes, you should be given more support than you are getting. I am upset for you that you are not getting all the help you need at this difficult time.

Drugs like these are dangerous, like a great many prescribed drugs are and should be closely monitored both when starting and reducing doses with a view to stopping. I would consider approaching your doctor again with a view to asking him to organising you some support with your withdrawal. This is not unreasonable given you reason that these drugs were prescribed.

Did you taper/ reduce slowly the drugs before or were they just stopped?With a taper the symptoms should theoretically not be as severe.

Try not to be afraid. rather look at it as a new chapter in your life and please keep beleiving "tommorow " can be better.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the website information. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi I think perhaps this is waiting to be moderated is because I have recommended a project which is on Wikipeadia for what you have asked , which has forums and I do not think we are allowed to recommend.

I simply wanted to give you information and not recommend.

• Posted

I started on 10mg 6 months ago, then after two weeks it was tappered down to 5 mg, then after 3 months to 2.5 and now to 1.25mg. 

It's just been one day, I have no idea how long would it take, if there would be withdrawal symptoms, how long would it take them to appear. I feel like I'm wlaking on fire here. 

• Posted

Hi if you haven't had withdrawal symptoms so far then it sounds like you are not going to get any, so best don't look for any. The idea of a taper is to minimise any ill effects.

• Posted

Its been 2 weeks since I taper down and 4 days ago the horrible depression that had be haunting me came back. I don't know if its the ilness that has come back or if its a side effect of the medication. I've quit my psychiatrist because his solution is to keep me on drugs forever which I don't want. I didnt use to have depression, it started after I did drugs for the first time 8 months ago which resulted in a psychotic breakdown. and that's why I got on zyprexa. So yeah, I don't have a psychiatrist anymore and I don't know what's happening to me 

• Posted

I'm a little confused. In your first post you said it was your Dr that wanted you to taper and stop the zyprexa. Is that a different Dr to your Psychiatrist who wants you to stay on the medication?

Best see your Dr/psychiatrist if you are feeling bad again and get some help.

What drugs did you use that gave you a psychotic breakdown and are you still using them? If so you should stop.

Hope you get some help quickly and feel better soon.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

• Posted

He agreed on cutting back at my request. not at his wishes, if anything he wanted to keep me on the higher dose of 10mg. I took ayahuasca, a one time thing, it was after doing it that I started having all these mental issues. I don't know it's like something in my brain changed and I don't know how to fix it. I've seen 7 psycotherapists, 3 psychiatrist and herbalist and 2 general doctors. I'm losing hope everyday that goes by

• Posted

Perhaps since it has helped you you need to stay on it a bit longer and reep its benefits . See if you improve and stay on it longer. I am sorry you are loosing hope and not happy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.