Afraid to take mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,I have been on ad,s for most of my life ,I had to stop taking citalopram after getting hyponatremea (severe dehydration)I have been off ad,s now for 6 months ,but my depression and anxiety have returned with a vengence,I have been prescribed mirtazapine but afraid to take them incase I get a recurrance of hyponatremia again,as I had been ill for 8 months before hospita l realized I had low sodium levels and stopped all my meds until my sodium levels built up and I do not want to go through that hell again,I have been fighting this anxiety now for the last 4 week,s and know that mirtazapine can also cause hyponatremia as well as other ad,s.Just dont know what to do.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

After my experience with mirtitizapine I myself will never touch them again,the withdrawl symptoms are horrendous,I was only taking a small amount and I ve been off them for 2 weeks and my anxiety is higher than ever I now have to take more diazapam than I ve ever had to take
    • Posted

Hi,I found after taking diazapam over many yrs they stop working,I was hospitalized for 6 weeks doctors stopped them deadeek,I was thankful in the end ,but still very depressed,and was put on escitalopram,which I found very good and lifted my depression were I could actually cope again,my advice would be to see your gp and come off them more slowly .good luck
  • Posted

I've never had an issues with Mirtazapin and have been on them for 2 years - started on 15mg daily and now taking between 30mm to 45mg

It does mostly allow me to get some sleep at night but has only limited effect at counteracting my anxiety/panic attacks and am actually looking to try Citalopram so would welcome any insight into its effectiveness.

• Posted

Hi matchman ,I had been on citalopram for 20 yrs and found them very effective for depression and anxiety,but they were the cause of my hyponatremia so doc had to stop them,that was 6 months ago ,but if I could I would not hesitate to take them again,good luck .
    • Posted

Thank you Nezza, thats very good to know - I suffered with very mild hyponatremia for a short time when i first started taking Seroxat (Paroxetine) about 15 years ago but my said it was just my body adjusting to the medication and within a few weeks it was no longer a problem, and have never suffered from it since being on Mirtazapin for 2 years now.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you :-)

• Posted

Hi my new Doctor has put me back unto it but has had no real affect on me, I have depresion but my is more to do with chronic nightmares i have every night for the last 15 yrs, my Doctor is looking into it and i will have to see another Secalist again but also she  wants to to keep me off any real long tearm medication,i wake up every night and walk this house i also take diazapan and some other tablet to try and calm me down,i wish i could take a good strong sleeping pill and fall asleep once.

Wishing you the best of luck Nezza.  Alexander.

• Posted

Hi alexander,It could be the affects of diazapam,sooner or later they stop working ,I would see your doc about coming off  the diazapam and find a different medication,I had been on diazapam for a number of years and was hospitalized for 2 months with a breakdown ,the diazapam was stopped cold tukey,I went through a living nightmare ,but at the end was grateful to the doc who stopped it.I hope that you find a drug that helps rather than go down the route of benzodiazapines,the best of luck to you alexander,nezza
  • Posted

You are suffering with withdrawels from the discontinuation from citalopram.  Withrawels can either start up instantly but in a lot of cases months down the line.  

Mirtazapine is not a drug to take if you have hyponatremia.

Please, please look into alternative treatments. I am sure your severe anxiety and depression is withdrawel related and will ease over time. 

Mirtazapine has destroyed my life in a way no-one could quite believe. These drugs are not forever and i would take depression and anxiety anyday over what in-human life i am living now.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply sarah,I have been thinking  that it could be withdrawral symptoms,I did start taking the mirt but decided not to take anymore as the damned stuff kept me awake all night with horrible nightmares ,all ad,s I have had have given  me bad side effects,I also suffer high bp and the tablets also dehydrate me so I am in a catch 22, so I will stop them and see how thing,s go,wishing you good luck and health,nezza.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.