After a long wait actually got a date

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 7 months of waiting for gallbladder surgery i had a call yesterday to go for the pre op today. Well the date i have this is december 3rd. Everything happened so fast it's only just beginning to sink in. After reading some of the posts on here i'm feeling a bit nervous about the outcome but would be happy to have any advice on what happens after the op. Eg what to eat,how long does it take to get back to normal etc. Any advice would be useful.

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm having the operation tomorrow and not sure what to expect either, I'm very nervous and can't wait for it to be over with to be honest, the funny thing that's making me less nervous is thinking it can't be any worse than child birth.

• Posted

Hi Donna good luck for tomorrow, like you said childbirth , this op you'll be asleep your not joining in, so you've got the right frame of mind think positive. It's normal to be nervous I was exactly the same last Friday morning I just wanted it over with. Best advise I got was in recovery from the nurse there was as soon as you ok try to walk or move around to disburse the gasses they put in you, the gasses are what causes most of the pain it's like trapped wind , people complain their shoulders & ribs hurt. Thank goodness I never experienced it I was up walking to the loo. Take care , hope all goes well x

• Posted

Hi, my operation went well thank you, I'm feeling a lot better today and my shoulders, back, ribs etc are not as painful, I've not got much of an appetite and when I do eat I start feeling sick hope this passes soon

• Posted

Hi Jill, my operation went well and there's nothing to worry about, the worse bit is when you come round I felt very sick yesterday and the gases cause pain in my shoulders, back and ribs try and ask for painkillers ASAP once they start working you will just want to sleep, I'm feeling so much better today, will be thinking of you on the 3rd

• Posted

Hi Donna brilliant news. At least they've gone now and no more flare ups. So pleased you're feeling better. Did you have many stones? Did you go home the same day? Are you eating normally now? So many questions i would be here all day!! Hope you continue to feel better. Jill

• Posted

Hi jill. You will be fine pls don't worry I no its easy said than done. I had my operation last Friday 18/11/16 thankfully it was keyhole, I like you was very nervous because I'd had no consultation or meet the consultant until the morning of the op. Thank god he was a lovely gentleman & answered all my questions & put my mind to rest before my operation. I was in theatre 12& out 1.30pm in recovery had a brilliant nurse, I had a cup of tea & sandwich felt ok no one said anything about not eating certain foods? I've been home 4 days now I'm just a bit sore but I'm eating & drinking everything. Pls don't worry I've no really pain just sore, x

• Posted

Thanks Sally for your reply. Must say it helps to hear something positive. Good to see you're doing so well. Are you out and about as normal now or are you having to rest? Good to know how people are doing. Jill

• Posted

Hi Jill,

​Glad to hear something is progressing after all this time. Did you have to chase them up or did it come out of the blue in the end?

​I'm sure I will be the same whenever mine finally comes up - after so long you have to reset your thoughts I should think to take it all in.

Anyway, all the best and do keep posted on your progress, will think of you on 3rd x

• Posted

Hi Cynthia to be honest i had given up the idea of having it this year but the phone call came totally out of the blue. It was a bit of a shock especially when they wanted the pre op done today. I went to the main hospital for this but the op will be taking place at a smaller one. I have to go back a day before the op for another blood test. Not sure what for but it has to be a place that has a special licence to do it.? Can't be done at the gp surgery. We seem to have 3 different hospitals in worcestetshire that do this op.Will let you know all about it but hopefully. you will hear very soon. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia i just sent you a lengthy.post but it's being moderated. Don't know why. You may get it but a shortened version is i got the phone call out of the blue yesterday and had to go for pre op today. No i didn't chase it up i had given up and thought it would be next year. I hope you hear soon. Will let you know after the 3rd.

• Posted

Hi Jill, that moderation thing seems to pick up some words or symbols I think - I've had the same but could not see why!

?Thanks, though. I was thinking of writing a blog about my experiences but the Patient's Association called me for my story as they are looking into waiting times and how they affect us, so I was happy to pass on my thoughts - it may help someone in the future anyway.

?I am now on a list for having my knee replaced - there will not be much left my original self at this rate! Let's hope that is less of a saga!

Hope you will do well (I am sure you will be fine, we both will) and look forward to hearing all about it x

• Posted

Hi Cynthia well it's all over now. Had the op Saturday. Didn't know a thing about it. Only 2 of us having it done and i was second so not too long a wait. The hospital was about 40 miles away and the worst part was journey home. Took about 2 hours due to an accident. So far feeling a bit weak and sore.painkillers working well. No sickness at all but not eating much. Honestly nothing to worry about. I really.do hope you don't have to wait much longer. Let me know how you're.doing. jill

• Posted

Glad it went well!

?I will have to travel about the same as you, that is not something I look forward to, being on the motorway with a cushion on lap. It will take time to get back to full functioning no doubt.

?The GP is writing to the consultant about the wait.

?I don't think they offer weekend surgery here - maybe why the list is so long. But sounds good to be second up. My last op years ago waited all day before called and that was the worst bit.

?So glad you are OK, Cynthia

• Posted

Hi again Cynthia they said they don't normally do weekend surgery there (Kidderminster) but the surgeon was trying to catch up with his backlog. It's only a small hospital which was nice. If there had been anything other than keyhole surgery i would have had to be transferred to Worcester the main hospital. Glad your GP is chasing it up for you. You may get a call out of the blue like i did. Fingers crossed. Jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.