After bunion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am new to this discussion but would appreciate some help, I had a scarf osteotomy and akin on June 16th and 9 days post op, I was a bit concerned I had done too much walking around the house, even with crutches and the very glamorous boot.

What duration and for how long each day must you elevate you foot for, all I did was walk around my flat a bit, prepared dinner, but a bit worried now.

Appreciate any help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I think you are fine - at that stage I was encouraged to walk around for 40 mins of each hour & had same as you plus Mortons neuroma removed & knuckle removed from 2nd toe. The walking each hour will help recovery as long as gentle walking & rest foot up for plenty of periods in between. Your foot will swell after being up and about but will soon go down with ice pack on back of heel for 10 mins. All the sharp pains and aches are normal & become less & less over the weeks following op. I wore a large trainer from 2 weeks & this also helps keep swelling down & make you feel more normal! Now 8 weeks in recovery & can fit into some of my shoes already although foot gets tired after about hour walking still. Try and treat the foot as normal as possible as quickly as possible - say from 4 weeks on & you will be fine but remember to do the exercises given by hospital to get mobility back quicker, good luck 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your info, speedy recovery for all! I just called the hospital and they more or less confirmed what you said. 
    • Posted

Hi Daren,

I've had similar surgery.  When were you able to walk without a cane or crutches?  Did it hurt, and did you limp?  I'm three weeks out.  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Joyce. I was never given a crutch or cane to use but I heel walked from the start & turned my foot out to the side which made walking a whole lot easier &'the surgeon said was correct way. I think from 4 weeks I was walking quite well but yes still with a limp - I am now 9'weeks post op & almost walk normally with trainers or simple wide fit shoes!! Try to concentrate on walking as normal as possible just at a slower pace from 4-6 weeks & you will gradually stop the limping. I think the secret is to find comfy fit trainers or shoes & walk each day a little further - obviously still resting each hour for 10 mins with foot  up but regain your confidence & think positive - my surgeon said it is good to walk to help healing process. Good luck & speedy recovery!!
    • Posted

Many, many thanks.  Getting help from others who have endured the surgery is the best thing.  The docs themselves haven't really experienced this.
  • Posted

Susie, I understand your fear, I went through something similar in that the day after the operation I did more than I should. I guess your foot is now red and swollen, that is normal, The message though is to keep foot elevated, I found I got instant relief by raising the foot to 45 degrees, ie well above horizontal for a few seconds. Redness goes then you can just sit and watch wimbledon with your feet up (good timing). Im one of those people who tend to push things, I advise you not to do much for several weeks, give the tissues time to heal and repair the circulation. Kevin
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your quick response, I will slow down a bit and yes, good timing, I will enjoy Wimbledon !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.