After laparoscopy, pain, what is normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I had a laparoscopic myomectomy 6 days ago at St Guy's hospital with Dr Khalaf and i am in severe pain in my left side and have exceptionally sore incisions around and above it with swelling and leaking fluid from my belly button and the largest one. Is this normal? How long after the operation the pain will stop?  I also have a numb leg and a sharp pain in my left side hip and across the pelvic/abdomen and I feel cold. I have called the hospital and the duty nurse said is normal. I am taking tramadol but dosent help sad

Any advice please? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suna I am sorry to hear you are not well and I don't think your symptoms are normal but I may be wrong. If continue go to a and e

• Posted

Hi Suna, 

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I would go to A&E, after 6 days or a week that doesn't sound normal to me, my personal opinion. 

• Posted

Hallo suna, sorry to hear about this happening to you. I had the same laparoscopic but was feeling better after 3days no skin pain or swollen parts. I still think you do have to visit your doctor again for a proper control before it gets out of hand.

All the best dear and stay healthy.

• Posted

ended up calling the ambulance yesterday due to severe pain and currently in hospital. Apparently the bleeding and swelling were caused by the fluid in my uterus,the catheter was removed too soon so now having another one inserted again. My belly button is infected so antibiotics and strong painkillers, and the numbness in my leg still here. I am beginning to wonder if I have done the right thing by having the surgery as I have no improvement at all, is worse actually.sad Thank you everyone for your replays. 
    • Posted

So sorry this has happened, glad you are in safe hands now. That duty nurse you first mentioned was negligent. From reading a lot of women's experiences apparently the vaginal bleeding will get a little worse before it will get better. 

Stay strong, wishing you A speedy recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.