After op anxiety!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ten days ago I had surgery on my spine to release trapped nerves, which I am told went well, therefore as far as I can tell I am not anxious about the operation.

Unfortunately on the night after the operation I had reaaly bad panic attacks and could not sleep a wink, the nurses would not give me any medication because of the anesthetic that I had received.

Since then I have been put on 10mmg citalopram, which I take at night, still do not sleep very well bt need to resort to zopiclione tablet.

During the day I seem full of the shakes nervoust tum, hot and cold, how much longer is this going on for before I feel any positive effect?

Is there anything I can do to help wth these side effects?

What with the pain from the severe bruising and operation site plus this I feel very low.

Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about the spelling mistakes!

Forgot to mention, no appetite, in fact food turns my tum over.

• Posted

I had my first op 6 years ago, that night I was nervous and scared all night, they say it's a side effect of anesthetic. If you wern't having them before I would be reluctant to start Citalopram because it is a horrible drug to try and get off. I was put on it 15 years ago for vertigo, never had panic attacks in my life until I try weaning myself off it. It's a horrible feeling.

• Posted

Thanks for quick reply, should not have written since the op, my GP put me on Citalaprom 5 days ago as i continue with lack of sleep and feeling anxious. It is something that I have suffered with before that is why GP suggeste the medication.
  • Posted

Hi. It's early daysforcitalopram to work. Unfortunately you can sometimes feel worse before you feel better. Your body and mind have been through a lot. You need to give yourself time to recover physically and mentally. Try doing something to distract you when the anxiety start a....read play games on your phone a puzzle or tv show anything that helps. Good luck!! X

• Posted

I get on YouTube and search Tapping it seems to calm me reasonably quick, you might have to do it more than once, occupying your mind, sing loud, I also find a guided meditation as you have to listen and follow, I also sleep with relaxation music going all night.
  • Posted

Thanks all for your positive replies, I will continue with the citalaprom, have now decided to take in the morning see if that helps, thankfully had a really good nights sleep with the aid of zopiclone which i can use on an occasional basis.

Don't feel too bad this morning not negative just the side efects of the citalaprom really, plus of course the aches and pains of the operation.

• Posted

Nearly 3 weeks now,when should these tablets start to take effect?

At present side effects are not good feel panicky most of the day, hot and cold, feel sick, no appetite, then worry if I cannot sleep.

On top of all this I have a horrible nasal smell, my wife cannot smell it, it is just in my nasal passages, gives me a headache, then this morning while washing I have pulled a muscle in my neck, my wife thinks it all due to my anxiety and tension, anyone else had something like this happen?

I mean to stick with the medication, from what I read on this site it obviously works eventually, just hope and pray it will not be much longer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.