After operation for gallstones

Posted , 3 users are following.

To those  ladies who have had their gallbladder out , did you wear pyjamas or a nightdress if you had a longer stay in hospital ? I may only be over night as having laparoscopic surgery but read that I may have a bladder drain in , so pjs will not be practical but a nightie will have to be pulled up to gain access to stomach ... I do prefer to wear pjs. 😁

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

For a previous ops have had a drain, no problems with wearing pyjamas.

I find it more practical as l to wear them. Ring the consultants Secretary if really concerned for advice they are always very helpful.

• Posted

Hi, I took pyjamas in with me as I always wear them , never considered taking a nightie, however I had a drain in and I was happy to wear the hospital nightie (not the gown you go to theatre in that's open at the back ), it was nice, soft and baggy. Plus if you don't have to stay in you won't need either. At the hospital I was in you got a clean nightie and towel every day. At home I got my daughter to go out and buy me 2 nighties as I found the trousers sat just where the scar was on my stomach and twisted around tighter than a nightie when trying to turn I bed.
    • Posted

Thank you Octavia I see what you mean , I'm just worried about modesty !!! I was told I would have the laparoscopic op done but if my gallbladder was stuck to my liver I would have what they call a conversion , they take out the tools and do the full operation so means I would be in hospital longer , did your op go ok ? I've been warned that if they Nick my duct or bowel I would have to have another operation to sort it. Are you in the uk ? Not heard of a nightie and towel being given to you each day ? , thanks for your reply 😁
    • Posted

Just seen your post to Octavia, I also had clean towels and night gowns plus given toiletries on my many emergency trips. Gloucester and Exeter hospital were excellent.
  • Posted

Hi, think I see what you mean with the modesty, they were plenty long enough to cover you, mid calf on me. Im in the west midlands uk. My operation went fine although a struggle to get it out they said , it was inflamed , infected, 2x2 cm stones thickend and enlarged, so the hole bag really! They managed to keep to laproscopy think the cut on my belly button was a bit bigger than usual and was a bit sore recovering. I dont think I had any pain as such. It was tender, bit uncomfortable to move around getting in bed and to the loo but no real bad pain. I had pain meds and antibiotics in a drip for one night then tablets for a week at home. I declined the codine and stuck with paracetamol and ibuprofen, no problem. Needed longer to recover than expected and could be really tired some afternoons but rested and was ok. Glad it was done although I was terrified before hand.
    • Posted

I have 1x2cm and 1 x2.5 cm and loads of gravel. I'm in constant pain no matter what I'm doing , had time off work but got to go back next week and it's 11 weeks till op. Scared I'm going to do myself real damage. Thanks for your operation comments. Interesting. Glad your ok. 
  • Posted

Hi, yes I was worried what damage had already been done and of course not daring to go anywhere away from home incase taken ill. Don't know if you've read about fresh (not from concentrate) apple juice I thought I'd try it as it didn't seem like it could harm. From what I read it's something to do with the malic acid, anyway I drank it throughout the day (about half a litre a day) before op and still drink it everyday now but less, I do think it helped. I was careful what I ate while waiting as I so feared another attack. Everyone seems to be different with what they can eat. I found the apple juice, ginger biscuits and peppermints all helped when struggling . I also ate a lot of homemade basic soup and drank more water. After op had bloods taken and given iv antibiotics and tablets for 7 days after. I think I was told they look at the gallbladder after removed to check ok and if you don't hear from them in 2 weeks its all good. You could always phone your surgeons secretary and ask to be put on the cancellation list if you're able to work around just a few days notice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.