After some guidance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been overactive now on 4 occasions with the time before this one being 18 months ago. It mainly shows in my tsh which is now at 0.04, from 0.31 3 weeks ago when i started to show symptoms local normal range goes down to 0.35.  I usually last overactive for several months and then it goes back to normal. However I had a reaction to carbizamol so last time they put me on the other one...

The last time I went like this I was due to have radio-iodine treatment as they have ruled out graves and other things.  Because of an operation I had where iodine was used they were unable to proceed with the treatment as the test showed my thyroid wouldn’t take it up.  They repeated the test 6 months later that showed the treatment was viable but as I was back in normal ranges they decided to leave it.  Saying it might or might not come back (this was after three times).

I am due to speak to the nucleur medicine guy next week after this weeks blood test, but after he keeps telling me different things each time I want to get clear in my head what I want... I don’t like the idea of the treatment but at the same time if I can move on in life and not always be wondering when I am next going to feel like this... 

Has anyone else had it recurring several times and what did / are you doing? Is there anything I should be asking or thinking? As I get emotional when frustrated or stressed I want to get my head straight!

Sorry for the rambling post! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma I also have thyroid and gravesdisease mine is back to normal at the minute but I still get all the pain and sore throat still very on well
  • Posted

Hi Gemma, during your appointment with the radiosurgeon it is important to clarify what exactly is causing your periodic hyperthyroidism. You could also inquire about the aim of the treatment, is it a total ablation of the thyroid? What are the risks? Will you need thyroxine supplements after the treatment? Are there alternative treatment methods? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.