after surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

What were you guys able to eat after surgery after having your gall bladder eat? I have surgery Tuesday.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

So far only broth and crackers eggs scrambled soups yogurts jello basically back to bland diet i can drink one small cup of coffee but tea doesn't sit well i find myself craving water lots of it grilled chicken but nothing breaded today i managed to keep a bean burrito down but i live on stool softners and miralax to go poop lol and gas x for bloating its definitely a process even after surgery but worth it 
    • Posted

I figured it was going to be a liquid diet. Great! Yes I know it will be worth it. I already use miralax, but the doctor gave me stool softners because of the meds.
    • Posted

Yea i was glad to actually eat after over a month of nothing but water and protein shakes that's all i could manage before surgery like i said the surgery is so worth the alternative 
  • Posted

I'm 3 weeks after surgery now and I can eat almost anything , certain foods still dont agree with me and I get stomach ache and diorreah , pizza hut, fried foods etc, but generally im ok now 
  • Posted

Hi you will want to eat a very bland diet for the first month because it is a shock for your body and digestive system to have something taken out, even if it is not essential. I will eat oats, bananas, and lots of liquids (best is  mineral water). It all depends how you will feel afterwards, your body will tell you. I had gallbladder surgery 5weeks ago, and it has been ups and downs. First I had diarrhoea ( common post surgery side effect) and I couldn't eat at all. then I got gastritis went even more bland with food for a week, then I started having lots of acid reflux, and I only eating milkshakes and probiotics to see if it settles. It has been hard but like I said each person is different, so listen to what your body is telling you and you can eat what you feel like without upsetting it too much. Hope surgery goes well. 
  • Posted

Doctor told me to stay on a low fat diet for 2 months after surgery. I'm going to have a late birthday this year. Jello doesn't count has a birthday cake or pizza. Plus I miss my chickn alfredo at the olive garden.
    • Posted

Ah ah.. I miss just about everything I used to eat  like a nice juicy steak in the grill for ex. 
    • Posted

Rips rips I love them. Pizza! Real icecream. This really is a lousy birthday gift. We only eat steak and ribs when we go out to Road House. Love the peanuts. This diet is old already. I wish I had more choices but I can't eat many vegatables and fruit doesn't like me. So mash potatoes and gravy or noodles with butter is getting real old. At least my husband bought halibut fish, which we ususally get eating at Mo's.
  • Posted

Hi I had mine out 2 days ago. Currently eating anything is a real struggle. I've managed a few slices of bread and cerial bars but I've been feeling very sick and have no appetite. I keep trying small things . This morning I've had a few grapes.  

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I've been getting worried that my a petite hasn't returned yet and I love my food!! 

• Posted

Try jello and broth for a few days. No dairy but skim milk. Eat low fat foods. I hope you are better real soon
  • Posted

I could only eat jello for a few days. Then i had a raspberry poptart and skim milk. I have been eating normal food low fat for awhile now. The pain is getting better, but I am think I might be coming down with a bug even though I have stayed in since I had surgery. Stomach feeling icky and nose is running.  The pain is getting better but I think I did to much today and I'm hurting more then yesterday.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up