After TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all ...has anyone used a support bandage on their knee after the scar from TKR has healed 

I feel when I go out my knee needs some extra support

i'm 10 weeks post op and still in pain 

Jean 

1 like, 28 replies

Report / Delete

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning Jean,

Not on my operated knee, but my second knee sometimes needs support.

My physio recommended a neoprene knee brace which I bought from Amazon.  It fits all sizes.  Hasn't helped particularly but keeps your knee toasty warm.  Something I think you'd benefit from.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've felt tempted to try some support too but I remember a physio saying to me before the op not to wear one too often as it won't help with muscle strengthening. So, I guess, now we need to be strengthening the muscles even more. This is only my opinion though, not an expert's. Jen 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I used to wear a brace before I had surgery, but not since. U tend to agree that it might not be a good idea, and might impede muscle strengthening. It's not nice whern knee gives way though. has done that occasionally with me. Glad I have a stick.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi jean sorry you are still so in pain at 10weeks it should be lessening by now. I don't think a support bandage would be of much help. Your knee will continue to heal at its own pace and some get there quicker than others. If you feel that you knee might give way on you, you need perhaps to get it looked at again by consultant.i am now 14 weeks and I reckon I have turned the magic corner. Hardly any pain at all now and am walking well and confidently, you too will get there, give it another4weeks and you should be tripping the light fantastic as they used to say.i wis you well you are almost there Gal x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Tucks

i could never trip the light fantastic ...but I will give it a good try in the future 

I prided myself in thinking I hadn't suffered depression like some poor people.

but I guess depression of sorts comes in different disguises

but today  is think positive day 

and yes I will see my GP  about this constant pain ...I suppose having sciatica didn't help 

roll on 4 weeks time and I'll google the light fantastic and have a go biggrin

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi jean -- i am also at 10 weeks and am still taking LOADS of meds so i guess it is not unusual to still have pain at our stage. today my leg is really bothering me, aching and feeling quite uncomfortable. i was pleased to read tuck's post, gives us hope! though i have to go back into hospital on december 2 to have it bent and so the pain management will start all again.

as for the the knee support, i would have to say that i don't think a brace is a good idea as it is replacing the function of the muscle. i know it sounds really boring, but we need to keep exercising and the muscle will come back!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Britta

it was just a daft thought as today my knee is not behaving itself,..it's painful and feels so heavy  and uncomfortable

i read so many posts on here and then I think ...I ought to be doing that etc....

i really feel for you having to go into hospital for manipulation it must be a daunting thought. 

but ...also remember  your surgeon is looking after your best interest which is great.

By Xmas you will be glad  things are moving on.

take care 

Jean 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thanks for the kind words, jean! those were my thoughts too, by christmas i am hoping to have the worst behind me.

i went shopping with my mum - 76 - and my sister who is top fit. mum and i looked like sisters, hanging on to railings, hobbling around like invalids, looking for chairs to sit in regularly. quite a depressing experience ;-)

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Britta

I'm the same age as your Mum  I sit on every available seat when shopping

and have so many cups of tea in cafe's It's a wonder I don't swim home 

what have I done to myself by having this Op 

sigh...... Jean 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

In a few months you'll be glad you had it Jean. someone else wrote in another discussion that their aunt refused a TKR 10 years ago and is now completely housebound. So you will be glad you had it done eventually.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm 57 and hate it when I see mist people my age galloping around like 2 year olds when I can only stagger around(although getting better) and then some of them say that you only need to do this or that and all will be well!!! I bet most of these super fit people would struggle with TKR surgery, and the constant pain of severe osteoarthritis!!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm with you on that one

people say to me ...I thought you'd be ok by now..... Have they had a TKR.  Definitely not 

I must admit I never realised how long the recovery was going to be 

but ....it's done now ...so there's no going back  just got to get on with it 

but thanks to all on this site for the encouragement biggrin

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm with you on that one

people say to me ...I thought you'd be ok by now..... Have they had a TKR.  Definitely not 

I must admit I never realised how long the recovery was going to be 

but ....it's done now ...so there's no going back  just got to get on with it 

but thanks to all on this site for the support and  encouragement biggrin

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My physio gave me the rundown on how long it would really take to recover. He said 12 weeks to feel like you'd done the right thing, 6 mths to start feeling normal and 12 mths to be completely better. Well I feel heaps better now( but I am having a good day) but I really would like to be more active and drive. I try not to take any notice of ill informed words of wisdom. Hard sometimes though, you feel like a failure. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes it's definitely a long road to total recovery ...and if it's 12 weeks to be glad we had it done ..I just have 1week to go 

I'll let you know how I feel next week 

we will all get there eventually but everyone heals at different rates  there's no set programme  ..just a guideline 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I couldn't eat for the first 3 weeks and now my Appetite seems to hVe diminished ...I eat because I ought too 

I've lost a stone    And the weight has made my face look thin ....so much so that people are commenting 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That sounds about right to me too. I'm 17 weeks now and beginning to feel normal so hope to get there by 6 months. I can understand too the 12 month thing as there are so many strange feelings which crop up in my leg I bet they'll continue for some time. I can see me needing to continue with strengthening exercises for a while too. But won't it be great to get completely better 😊😊😊 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi jean weight loss is a big problem for me following the op. I have gone down 2dress sizes, I still have no appetite some days the mere thought of food makes me gag. I can't seem to drink soft drinks either, I get a sickly sweet taste in my mouth.  I'm not on any meds now so don't know what's going on. Could be part of the depression I suppose. I am 15 weeks today and defiantly getting there, but the weight loss is a bit worrying. Take care x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tucks 

i know what you mean I have to force myself to eat ,..I can't tell you how many times in the past I've said I need to lose a bit of weight?

I just don't fancy food at all ...I eat because I ought too and because my other half makes me meals ...which I push around my plate like a naughty child.

I tried 2 of my favourite skirts on yesterday and they just hung off me  one even dropped down round my ankles 

i'm usually scoffing mince pies around this time of year ..but the thought of them is a definite No No 

the only fizzy thing I can drink is Soda water... 

Thank goodness I still fancy my cups of tea.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm 11 weeks and struggling to get the swelling down  my leg with TKR is the only fat bit on my body 

I can feel my hip bones for the first time in X amount of years biggrin

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi jean, you have just made an interesting point about drinking soda water. I am struggling with fizzy drinks everything I drink except water is leaving an awful sickly taste, I can drink tea ok. Just can't fancy food however much I try. I feel I must have at least one good meal a day, but what a struggle and around 2hours later doubled up with stomach cramps. Wasn't like this before the op. take care from slimline tucks lol x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tucks

give the soda water a try ...it helps to settle your stomach as well as quenching your thirst 

if you don't like the soda water on it's own try adding a little fresh orange juice...I don't mind it as it is 

I'm sure we must be related ....lol...as everything you describe is just me.....

one decent meal a day and that's an effort 

I even gave a big box of chocolates to my daughter that I'd had bought for me as I didn't fancy them

take care 

from the (Stick Insect) biggrin

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up