After TKR did everyone have a physio?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I see from previous posts  .people talking about  their visits to their physio.. apart  from the ones who come to see youin hospital... I have never  seen I one!... should I be? .  I do the exercises in the booklet they gave me... I had my TKR 6 weeks ago. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I believe you can get to see an NHS physio via your GP, but not sure of waiting times, if any.  

I have been seeing one privately from week 1 (now 16 weeks) and she has been invaluable.

Can't understand why you weren't referred to a physio after your op!  Home exercises are vital and, I believe, seeing a physio equally important.

Lynn 16 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi Mary, I was given 4/5 individual sessions with a physio at the hospital after 2/3 weeks then referred on to a weekly knee class for 6 weeks. I see my individual physio again after this to be finally assessed. Of course, I also do the exercises they suggest at home too. It's amazing how things vary in different parts of the country (you in UK?)  . Also, different consultants have different ideas. Might be worth speaking to your GP or consultant? Jen (12weeks post op) 
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I had my knee replacement 9 weeks ago, and apart from the one I saw in hospital I have never seen a physiotherapist since!

I too was wondering as others on here talk about going to physio all the time?

I was given a booklet with a set of exercises to do when I left hospital.

When I went for my post op check up I was given a different set of exercises to do?

I was told my bend was 105? Not sure if this was good or not but they seemed very happy with my progress?

I was told I didn't need to go back to the hospital until my yearly check up now unless I had any problems?

I have wondered if physio is only available to patients who pay for the op themselves or have medical insurance? Just an idea in case I offend anybody?

Pauline.

• Posted

Morning!

I was fortunate to have my op using the NHS Choose & Book scheme, i.e. Private care organised by the NHS.  It has been great.  Private treatment then a six week physio pack consisting of 3 hydro sessions and 3 gym sessions.  I then continued seeing my physio privately for which I have had to pay - £192 per month.  Now seeing her once a fortnight and aim to stop sessions by Christmas.

We don't have medical insurance so this Choose & Book NHS scheme has been fantastic.

Would advise anyone to speak to their GP for any medical procedures they need done.

Lynn 16 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi Lynn!

Lovely to hear from you!! Hope you are doing well?

I wish I'd had the opportunity to have such a great package as you! It sounds so much better!

Pauline.

• Posted

I'm 'getting there'.  Don't need to tell you how difficult it all is. It got to me mentally far more than physically. Makes me sound like a nutter, which I'm not.  But such a shock to the system.

Feeling more confident week by week.  So much so, we are off to the US to visit our daughter for Thanksgiving.  Couldn't have contemplated that a few weeks back.

Lovely to hear from you, too.  Remember those first messages between us when your op was postponed?!

• Posted

The scheme is available to all NHS patients.  Just needs to be recommended by your GP.

Seems to be a well-kept secret.  I think they use the private sector to cut NHS waiting times.  The whole scheme was marvellous.

• Posted

My GP gave me choose and book , when the option came through there was only MK hospital on it , lots if choice lol 
    • Posted

I do Lynn, I can't believe how time has flown since the op!

I too am improving slowly, it's been a horrible journey and I'm still not sure if I did the right thing having it done? I have yet to see any benefit but I know it's still early days? I still have lots of pain, still taking my medication 4x a day.

I got the ok to drive again at 8 weeks, I tried it once but it was so uncomfortable I haven't tried it again since!!

im still off work and have no idea when I will feel able to return? Luckily with working for the NHS I get full pay for 6 months so I don't have to worry about that just yet!!

• Posted

I can't see if you are uk or where . I had physio appointment day after clips removed , but only had  about 4 .and was discharged , no other physio, just the exercises we do at home .i think you should have had some , check with your GP 
  • Posted

hi mary .. phewww, so glad our uk contributors have nearly all told you the same. switzerland is very different but knees are the same world over so i really have no idea how you can make it work without physio. but i guess it all depends on how your do after the op. i was in tatters and may still need to have it manually bent, even with all the physio, massage, exercises and bendy machine i do. stubborn, my knee! my surgeon tells me i need a bend of 120 to travel comfortably so if you are at that without physio, YEAH! worry only if your bend is poor.
  • Posted

Hi Mary

do you live in the uk?

if so you should be having physio I'd get in touch with your hospital or. GP 

physio report back to your Surgeon on the progress of your bend

take care

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Like  you I never had Physio provided by the NHS and my GP practice only refers if you are deemed as an urgent case. Like you I was provided with an exercise sheet on discharge and told to get on with it basically. I saw one privately at a cost of £30 an hour and it was money well spent. By the sounds of it, post op help and support seems to be largely dependant on where you live. I am In the UK by the way. 

All the best

Deb

• Posted

Where do you live Mary? I'm in North Wales and totally NHS. I only saw mt GP for the initial referral to my consultant. I had three individual phsio visirs and she then said that I had reached the requited level to go to knee class weekly. This is at the hospital gym. This is with 4 or 5 other TKRs at various stages. I suspect that it may depend on consultant and area. 

• Posted

I'm in Wales too, Carol. For once, the NHS here seems to be doing quite well 😊 Jen 
    • Posted

Yes they seem to take this op extremely seriously. Although I was ready for discharge at 4 days on the Saturday I wasn't allowed to go before my own cunsultant had seen me on the Monday and given the ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.