After TKR did everyone have a physio?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I see from previous posts  .people talking about  their visits to their physio.. apart  from the ones who come to see youin hospital... I have never  seen I one!... should I be? .  I do the exercises in the booklet they gave me... I had my TKR 6 weeks ago. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had my tkr at Spire wrexham 4 weeks ago the package included two sessions an we a then referred to nhs for physio twice a week with others at various stages.in most hospitals I believe you have a self referral scheme .you definitely need to see a physio if only to know how well you are doing
  • Posted

I would definitely go, even if you only need one visit.   They can give great advice.   Even to tell you if your walk is right etc.   I think it's super important.  I pay out of pocket for mine 50.00 dollars a visit, but get 25.00 dollars a visit from my extra health coverage. Well worth it.
  • Posted

Physio visits were recommended to me after my first TKR 7 months ago and as I was having trouble with bending and pain for the first couple of weeks I found her support invaluable. I used her knowledge and experience as a gauge as to how I was progressing. I believe I had about 5 weekly visits. With my second TKR 4 weeks ago I have been much better with my bending due to high dosage of serious meds early on and they nobody advisedme to seek physio. However I di visit her in week 3 just so she could confirm I was doing well which she did. My next appointment is at 6 weeks and I suspect it will be my last. If you are at all concerned about your progress go see a physio. Or even if you want an opinion about comparison with others, go see a physio. Who else will tell you? 
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

I'm in the U.S. and don't know how the health care system works in other countries, but I just wanted to add what my surgeon told me before my op. He said exercise ( we call it physical therapy) is most important after TKR, that it would be a full time job and if I did not think I could keep up with it, then don't have the surgery, as it will have been for nothing. That really impressed i

• Posted

Oops sent to soon - anyway that really impressed upon me the importance of exercise. I have been going to an outside ( private) PT for 12 weeks, once a week but continuing the exercises at home. As others have said, it is vital to have someone make sure you are doing them correctly and if you are progressing the way you should be.

Good luck!

• Posted

I had my tkr 5 weeks ago and have had 2 lots of physio from week 3 then from week 5 1 lot a week for another 4 weeks your hospital should have arranged something x
  • Posted

i thought every one did , till i meet some one who didnt have any but he did have a 7 day stay in hospital and a full bend , if i was you i would ask your gp or your surgeon , are you seeing him soon ?
    • Posted

I had a week long hospital stay... also had full bend. . just muscle spasms holding me back from doing exercises. .. see the surgeon on 23rd...     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.