After your body is used to citolapram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Question for anyone. I've been on 10 mg now of cit for now 2 weeks, was 5 mg before that for 5 weeks. Couple questions, will I always have days off and on feeling tired/anxious until my body is use to this pill, will those side effects leave? Just want to feel normal again, too long waiting for that to happen.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello cindy

im on week 5 now of taking 10mg of cit. like you I'm waiting for the tablets to kick in. Last week I had a good couple of days felt like me againbut today not so good  reading other people's posts they say it takes awhile but will get there in the end.

jean x

• Posted

Thank you Jean, good to hear someone is close to where I am at on this pill and same dose. I too have had a few better days, so hope the tiredness sub sides soon, can't wait to feel myself again!
  • Posted

Hi Cindy,

Yes and yes! Cita is a "sticking plaster for the brain" You have to let it run its course so that it can fix things that need fixing. Saying that it must also be said that as we are all different we experience different side effects, different levels of these side effects and sometimes not all that others do! Cita takes as long as it takes for each individual and try, as best you can, to go with the flow. Ride the rollercoaster, but remember with every up there will be downs!

The anxiety aspect got me, I didn't think I had it until someone here, over 6 months ago now, advised that Cita can cause anxiety to be able to treat it as part of the overall treatment. Basically Cindy, this is no quick fix (although some do appear to do a little better sooner, but caution must stop us getting ahead of ourselves). I was 6 years in a job were I could handle the pressure (most of my life I have been able to), but not the stress that was caused, in this case by two other peoples incomputance. At 58, after military, public and private sector careers I thought working for a charity would be a good way to retire, give even more back, than I had already done. Little did I know it would lead me to the edge of a very dark place and I don't know if I'd be here now if it wasn't for my Fiancee, Daughter, Doctor, Cita and a lifestyle change.

So, 6 months down the road I'm on 40mg and feeling almost back to me old self. I have a Doctors appt in 2 weeks and if she is happy with my progress she will start a slow, gradual reduction, if not I'll continue untile otherwise advised. I am so fortunate that my regular Doctor was unavailable and I saw another who is now my (new) regular Doctor. She knows a lot about "sticking plasters for the brain!" Cita and suggested this forum, what a God send! (other deitys are available!)

It'll most probably be a year before I am back to 10mg or off Cita however, I do know that I could remain on 10mg indefinitely or stop, with a view to returning if we think necessary.

One of the important decisions I have made that I have not mentioned and we all have to consider this and that is that I have now removed myself from that which made me ill in the first place! My Fiancee and I have "dropped out of the rat race" so to speak! I am still not yet fit for work, but I'm gettig there and the only work I'll do is for us, I am semi retiring. We can just about manage and this is partly down to the lifestyle change, it is a much healthier one, doesn't cost as much and we are positive for the future.

It has been extremely difficult at times to remain, focus on or be positive, but some how I managed, it goes without saying that this forum played a big part in my recovery!

So, go with the flow, on days you feel like stayiing in bed, hey why not! On the days you feel on top of the world, make the most, but always be aware that, like me even recently there can still be down moments (not so much days any more).

Keep posting, there are some lovely peopple here that can help or are just here for a chat when you need them!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you so much for your positive out look on this pill, I'm trying to hang in there and will do it, I pray anyways that I can. Good luck to you too David and thanks so much, I sure will come to this site more often when I feel down, people on here lift me up about the pill. Thanks again!
  • Posted

Hi Cindy,

Youre in the early stages and I was like you.You just want to feel better than what you've been feeling bur it takes time.I know everyone is different but it doesn't happen overnight unfortunately.The tiredness and anxiety should subside.it did for me.

You are going to have good days and bad days which is normal but the longer you take them you'll start seeing an improvement.I couldn't wait to take my tablet every morning thinking it was going to make me have a good day then if I didn't have one it bothered me so then I thought don't focus on the tablet and just pretend I was taking an aspirin every morning and that worked for me.

I've been on citalopram 20 mg for 18 months and I persevered and I am back to the old me and it's great.

I am now just starting to reduce my dose and I am excited at doing so.

All the best Cindy,

Take care,

Sharon.smileX

• Posted

Im on week 3 going into 4 of 40mg Citalopram , i went straight on 20mg for 4 days then 40mg , I have parts where i generally feel ' normal' ish , but then out of the blue i feel so unbeliveably low and also anxiety kicks in , It dont help ive gained 1/2 stone in 2 weeks approx  - so get mega worked up about that as worked hard to lose alot of weight , but i suppose its a small price to pay to beable to go to work etc, Some days i still feel like i dont want to leave the house , or have been at work and have to suddenly go home - i dont think that ever 100% goes away but i hope it tapers off . Today i had felt ok until i went ot the supermarket and had a panic attack there took ages to calm down , then by 6pm i just felt so low and like im failing myself and my child for not being able to do stuff all the time as we were meant to see a family member this eve which i cancelled and now i just want to curl up in bed away from the world, which i cant being a single mum to a 9yr old and also babysitting tonight for my bros little one whos just 7m old . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.