Afternoon surgery for fundoplication.... help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have just found out to my horror that my surgery day has been shifted by 2 days - moved to another hospital - and I am now having a pretty complex operation done on day surgery in the afternoon. Has ANYONE here had this ? how does it work???? I get it if you were in 1st thing in the morning - they could monitor you all day before you go home - but afternoon???? The only thing that hasn't changed is the surgeon!

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Because it says its day surgery it doesn't necessary mean you will be sent home. It's happened to me before and I was kept in overnight If your well enough to go home and you have someone to pick you up and look after you for a day or so they will send you home. If your not well enough they won't.
    • Posted

Thanks Lovelane. I think I'd have been happier with a morning slot like I had originally.
  • Posted

Hi Glennie

Its a big op so I would be surprised if you went home the same day if your op is in the afternoon. I had mine done a few months ago. Even though the op went OK - i was kept in for 2 nights but I also had my H hernia fixed as well. You will need to be able to drink/eat soft food before you are discharged. 

You will be better staying in overnight so you can be monitored.

Best of luck to you

• Posted

Think of the positve kid, in just a few hours it will be behind you .. time travels fast. Let us know how you make out and if it helps you.

Good luck, you are going to be okay, probabley better !

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words RAP! It's been a long hard journey to get this far and these last few days are the worst!
  • Posted

They would not monitor you all day as someone else would probably be in your bed for the afternoon session. Day surgery means what it says and you are on the afternoon shift as that is all that they say you require.

Just Google fundoplication as day surgery and you will find that it is done as yours will be.

• Posted

Hi derek, lets hope the morning lot get to go home - otherwise I will not be operated on......
    • Posted

A friend in Edinburgh had an afternoon procedure on a Sunday and her surgeon had been operating in Carlisle in the morning.

As moonbuggy says you may go home groggy.

• Posted

Glennie

You will be fine. Everyone's recovery time is different. You are having 2 procedures done in one really. Not everone who has a Nissen has a hiatus hernia repair. I had mine done first thing in the morning and I was still really dopey until tea time (nothing unusual there LOL) 

Please let us know how you get on (and stock up on plenty of soup) smile

• Posted

Hi Moonbuggy,

Thanks - you're a star!

Made soups last week and frozen them in little handy size pots, got breakfast milkshakes and all kinds of sloppy things like custard and jelly - just hope it gets done before the sell by dates go out!

• Posted

they like to stress you dont they , i dont know what to say hun . i dont even no what the op is . so i cant comment . but it does sound like you should be kept in afterwards to make sure things are ok.

iv noticed they just cant seem to get rid of you quicker enough after an op these days. wishing you well .sorry you have been given extra stress at this diffitcult time .

• Posted

Thanks Tiswas - It is stressing me - and that's not the best! Burning the midnight oil now - as I can't sleep! It's been so long in getting to this stage - to have it moved at the last minute - and it could happen very easily again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.