agony at 5 weeks tkr

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi just me again! Have no one else to turn to! I'm now 5 weeks and feel like I've gone backwards! I've stepped up my exercises and am walking in my flat with one stick. But I'm in so much pain I just feel like I'm not coping. I really thought it would get a little easier. The muscles in my leg are extremely weak so a lot of work needed there. But the pain in the middle of my knee is extreme. And it's like it whatever I'm doing .sitting/ standing etc etc. It's so bad I'm not wanting to do anything. Also down the inside of my knee. I'm so frightened that it's not going to be okay. That I'm becoming very depressed. My gp seems to think that I should only need pain control when I go to physio. And anything else I take my tummy doesn't tolerate. I'm due for my 2nd visit to physio tomorrow .anyone else had this happen and got through it? X

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

i'm at 22 weeks now, but I seemed to go backwards at 5 weeks after doing a longer walk on pavements with a camber towards the kerb.  I then had to go back to doing circuits of the little green I the Middle of my estate.  Unfortunately, I still get a lot of pain under the knee cap, and I have trouble straightening my leg now so I'm thinking that my consultant might suggest manipulation(like I had on my other one), which I'd be quite pleased about to be honest.

Everyone is different and some luckier than others.

Tramadol is a very good painkiller, but it can make you dizzy.

I wish you all the best.

Patsy

• Posted

Don't get down, at 5 weeks I wanted to shoot myself! I'm at 8 weeks now and doing sooo much better. I do PT twice a week and I also go to a massage therapist to work on my leg, foot to hip and that has made me turn a corner. I still have stiffness/pain especially at night and when I wake up. It does get better although slowly. I don't do my exercises at home and I know I should and I could probably be further along. Hang in there, relief is around the corner. Good luck!
  • Posted

Oh Jayne you poor thing.  It's not good that you are on your own either. You shoukd try and see another GP and really lay it on the line regarding pain.  I am back on Oxycodone because in hospital I couldn't tolerate tramadol.   I take 2 paracetamol as well four times a day.  This seems to keep pwin under control.   Have you your six week follow up soon?  You could speak to the consultant about it and ask him to speak to your gp.  You need pain relief regularly in order for it to build up constant relief all day.   I still get that inside knee pain at 10 weeks.   I know how you feel because I had problems getting my pain meds right as I have sensitive stomach.   They can prescribe cyclazine for any sickness too.   I wish you well xx
  • Posted

Dear Jane, it is hard for you and I agree with the comments about your Doctor. He should be prescribing pain relief for you. It is still such early days for you. I an 20 weeks and still sometimes take pain killers and my doctors have never refused me pain relief. If you take them regularly it should help. I know a friend asked me at about 5 weeks was I glad I had it done and at that point I wasn't sure but now several weeks later I would say yes I am. Things will improve for you as well :-)
  • Posted

Your GP needs educating! You need proper pain control so that you can keep moving more and strengthen your knee. If you can use over the counter drug paracetamol i would suggest you take the maximum safe dose every day in the meantime and go and talk to your pharmacist about additional medication. I take 3 different types of pain relief and physio encourages this for as long as I need it (3 weeks post op double PKR and mainly pain free)
  • Posted

Another thought occurred to me. You mentioned how tired you are and I think most of us find that is so. Apart from the shock to the body of such a major attack there is the lack of sleep , pain, and the fact that every stupid little thing we try to do is like climbing Everest. I know that if iI were on my own I would never bother to cook and I was wondering if you are looking after yourself nutritionally! If not get yourself some easy to prepare supplements! Perhaps its not relevant and you're a cordon bleu! Ive resorted to sleeping tablets and they really help
    • Posted

Totally agree with you Martin. I think it's the bodies way of fighting to repair itself,  you feel tired so you rest. I was still dozing off in the afternoons until I returned to work -phased part time and even then I had to have a rest when I got home.  This was my first week back full time and now my back has gone into spasm  which means going back on the strong painkillers and a few days on diazepam. I am still trying to do the static cycle though as afraid it will set back my knee. 
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

It sounds as if your pain is not under control. I too had extremely weak muscles and I am just starting to feel some strength in them now. It has taken a lot of work but I do remember at 5 weeks the agony of exercising. It might be worth having your knee checked out in case this pain has an alternative cause like a bleed. My friend had that and she had not experienced pain like it she said. But if your pain meds are not sorted 5 weeks is still early days and yesterday at 10 weeks I was very sore. Insist on pain meds. Codeine made me sick at first but i tolerate it better now. Keep us posted! You are not alone. X

• Posted

Hi Jayne, I too went through the same stage you are at. I was getting bad quad pain and outer knee pain. As you know it's regular exercises, pain control and ice. I came through it and I am now 8 weeks and much better. Still lots to do, but each week brings a new challenge. Keep positive and it will get better.

take care

Robert

• Posted

your such early days , and need your pain meds , tell your pt about yhe pain they may have an answer for you , and tell your gp to have the opp then he will know what has talking about , i still have pain 12 months on , not the kind that stops me doing things but it nags me , , this opp is hard to deal with and can take up to 2 years so dont worrie , your doing just fine , the over counter creams are good , volterol 12 hours very good  , keep smiling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.