Agony through stress

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone can any help? I have woken up today with awful pain under my belly button and nausea,  pain in stomach and don't know how to remove the pain.  Can stress do this? What can people suggest I do that they've found has worked for them? Apart from having medication switched over and over and put on antidepressants rather than anti anxiety medication can any suggest any else please? Thanks people and hope your day is better than mine! 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Stress can cause all sorts of medical conditions including stomach disturbance .  The brain and the gut are linked.   If your pain is caused by IBS, try an antispasmodic or painkillers such as Nurofen or cocodomol.  I take OTC buscopan for my IBS and Nurofen. There are other antispasmodics that your doctor can prescribe if buscopan doesn't work.  Pain medication is the best way to get rid of the pain and it works for me.

• Posted

Hi Pippa,  I will try some antispasmodic as they normally help me out.  Buscot and doesn't normally help so I'll leave those out.  Thanks! 

• Posted

You may have to try several antispasmodics to find one that suits.
    • Posted

Doubt it just heard my counselling has been cancelled too,  for assault! I'm just waiting for a brick to knock me out! 

• Posted

See your doctor and emphasise that the cancellation of your counselling session has triggered a severe IBS flare up and ask for a new session to be fast tracked. If your doctor is not sympathetic to your needs, make a complaint and see a different doctor.

Painkillers and antispasmodics will help your pain. When I have severe flare ups due to stress, painkillers and antispssmodics always help me.

• Posted

I did what you advised doctor is very sympathetic and totally understand managed to get my counselling reinstated! Now throat feels all tender and stomach feels dreadful! 
    • Posted

Obviously an irritated stomach and throat isn't great, but it will get better when your stress levels lower.

• Posted

IBS puts a lot of stress on the body which can lower your immunity to infection.  Stress alone can make you more prone to bugs too and there are colds and flu going around at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa,  this is the 2nd time in 6 weeks I got laryngitis,  I have asked and asked for help with immunity but to no avail if you have this what do you try for immunity? Please help I've racked my brains as to what I take and drawn a blank! 

• Posted

There is not much you can do for sore throats. Hot honey or lemon drinks, lozenges and painkillers are your best options to manage the infection. However, if the infection keeps coming back, ask your doctor if you need antibiotics which are effective for bacterial infections but not for viruses.

Plenty of sleep, light exercise and managing stress all help to boost your immune system.  When you have your counselling session, you will be able to get coping strategies for stress.

• Posted

The sore throat thing bothers me as I have either laryngitis, sinusitis or labyrinths regularly.  I last had viral laryngitis 5 weeks ago only.  It's too frequently for my liking! There must be something I can take to boost my immunity! 

• Posted

Vitimin C is good for warding off infections; you could also ask your doctor for a vitamin D test to see if you are deficient.  Low vitamin D can cause ypu to be prone to infections.  
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, my doctor is about as much use as a chocolate teapot! All tests were negative for vitamin do which I already take and calcium which I take.  Sinus problems I've had for years and I have begged for help! Just had enough now. 

• Posted

just wondering if your laryngitis is caused by acid reflux related to ibs.  That has been a recurring problem for me.  I commonly get a hoarse and sore throat when my stomach is acting up.  I have been told that it is caused by stomach acids migrating up to the throat area.  It sure has helped when I do my regimen for combating reflux. 
    • Posted

I have thought that's the case as I got I'll when I was stressed,  it's how I stop it,  how? 

• Posted

Try nasal sprays which will help with sinus blockage and pain associated with it.  If your sinus infections are viral, antibiotics won't help; your doctor is right about this.  However, OTC medication will relieve your symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.