agoraphobia, please help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, so to keep it short, Ive suffered from anxiety, panic attacks and depression for over a year now, which has basically left me housebound. I was wondering if anyone has any tips to start getting out into the world again and getting over this horrible phobia. It's so frustrating, I just want my life back! Any help will be appreciated! 

Thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 25 replies

Report / Delete

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

on any meds or opened up to your GP about it?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've got valium incase it gets really bad, and my GP is aware of it. I know its down to me, I can go out if I'm with a family member sometimes but I haven't been out anywhere by myself because I'm worried I won't cope if I get a panic attack when I'm by myself (as I was when I had my first one) so it's a fear of the fear if that makes sense?!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had CBT for about 6 months and tried 2 different therapists but I don't think they knew the extent as to how much I was suffering because they said i'd be better within 6 weeks when you really can't put a time on anxiety recovery. I've got sertraline but I'm too scared to take it, I don't like taking tablets at all, so that would really be a last resort. Sometimes just the idea of having the valium in my bag can be enough to calm my nerves a bit if im out with family. I didn't have a trigger (or at least I can't think of one exact thing for my first panic attack) but now they can be triggered in restaurants, public transport and supermarkets, bascially places that can get overcrowded, hot, loud etc, they all trigger the anxiety. what about you? sad
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ive been going through the same thing for the past 4 months. It gets really frustrating because i use to always be outside but all of a sudden i just lost the erg to go out. I suffer from bipolar disorder, panic attacks, anxiety. The only time i go out is if im going to my doctor and that be so hard for me. If you dont mind me asking, where are you from?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Its awful isn't it sad especially when you know how you used to be. I know the exact feeling, you will get to the stage where going to the doctor will be easier, I was where you are, now I'm used to it, but going out on my own is the problem and even sometimes when I get offered to go places with someone else I just can't, feel like they wouldn't understand sad I'm from the north east of england, you? 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes very awful!! & yes i know what you mean when getting invited places but just dont have the energy or excitement to go. I feel like my friends are getting tired of me because i go through this stage atleast once a year and each year it seems to get worst. This year it was so bad thst i stopped talking to everybody for 4 months quit my job and dropped out of college because i felt like nobody quite understood what i was going through. Being around others makes me feel like im in a dream and dying inside. && im from brooklyn, new york. And in this state nobody takes or respect people with mental illness their made fun of in my opinion.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah thats exactly what i'm like! It makes things so much worse as well because then you feel guilty for not going out, I haven't told many of my friends because some people react as if you are insane! I did that too, just shut myself out basically, I've started studying online now which has helped me a bit because it doesn't give me as much time to think about things, is there any way you could do the same? ahhh, i love new york, it  feels like a second home to me if that makes sense, my goal is to go there again so i've kind of put pressure on myself to get out there. And yes i totally agree with you, its not talked about enough and it can make you feel so isolated, I hope we can get through this by motivating each other to take little steps! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Lol yea it makes sense and you should come to new york, if you could make it here that would be a big Challenge breaker for you! And yea all i do is research things online it's basically the only thing to do when there's nothing to do. And definitely it makes me feel better to know im not by myself in this situation.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah it would definitely boost my confidence! I agree, it is kind of comforting in the sense that people who are suffering from the same problems know exactly how you feel! 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm sure you're aware that the way to cure a phobia is, exposure, exposure and exposure. Let your fears help you ... that little voice in your head ,when it tells you not to do something ... do it.  Take it slow, go outside for 15 minutes, or as long as you feel comfortable, the next day, or when you feel ready, increase the time

outdoors, keep repeating the process. There is no quick fix, you have to work at it. Gradually you will work your way through it. Walk down the street, perhaps at night, what's your worst case scenario ? Staying in the house, protecting your pride, isn't going to solve anything.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you that's a really good tip, you've totally got what part of my problem is, because half the time I think i'm just too afraid of making a fool of myself! I'll take your advice and try going outside everyday and gradually build up to longer, suppose I have nothing to lose really. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with what everyone has said so far, but I would add that if you find comfort in keeping the valium in your purse, then use that as your way to get out. Just keep telling yourself, "If anything happens while I am out, I'll just take the tablet". Many people walk around with a pill bottle for years and never have to take one, but knowing its there at the ready can mean the difference between having a life and not having one.

I have suffered for ten years with this, and I can tell you that you may never be completely recovered, but you CAN get better. It took me two years of trying to go around the block, to actually go around the block. Today, I can do that and much much more.  This is not a sprint, it is a marathon. Do it at your own pace and don't listen to the critics. That said, you must try every day because if you never try, your world will just close up on you and it will get more difficult to try.

Always keep in mind that no one who hasn't had this disorder will EVER understand it. It makes no sense to me either, and I actually have it. So forgive everyone's ignorance and just focus on YOU going out. That's all there is to it. I'm not trying to simplify things here, but it really is that simple. You have to trust in the knowledge that there will be good days and bad days with this disorder and if you have a bad day just try again tomorrow. Good Luck

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

wow 10 years is a long time, but it's nice to hear that you have stuck at it and managed to get out more. Another issue is that my step-dad really pushes me to get out, I know his intentions are for me to get better but sometimes there's just too much pressure and it actually makes me worse when I feel forced to do it, then again if i was left to do it in my own time i probably know myself that i would stay indoors sad   Thank you for your positive words, and i think its just bigger in my head than it actually is so you're right i just need to focus on myself (not trying to be selfish) but ignore what people say cus they can't beat this phobia for me and they're not the ones going through it. Good luck to you aswell. Hopefully someday we will be free of agoraphobia
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up