Agoraphobic for 10 year's,the last time i was social i was 14 year's old

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have frequent mood changes and extreme anxiety to the point where i can barely mentally function properly and also the anxiety from agrorphobia has left me incapable of leaving the house(i have not been over the door for the past decade which has led me to alcoholisim(I havent had a drink for the past year now due to chronic pancreatitis)I'm curious has anybody else sufferd from this for a long long period of time and beatin it?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi matt,

I have very severe anxiety and i also have agoraphobia, i am trying to battle it but at the moment it is really gripping me.

You need help, i know it is incredibly hard to get it if leaving the house is impossible for you at the moment and I don't know where you live but do you have a doctor who is willing to visit you at home?

Please don't think that because you have been unwell for a long time that you can never recover, the person who has been unwell for a long time has had more time to collect bad memories and to feel deep despair but there is no other difference in you than a person who has only been suffering for a short time, you are still entirely treatable.

Medication can make a huge difference but of course you will need a doctor for that, therapy is key too and some therapists are willing to work with you online or over the phone, it's so important to make a start but you need guiding as you go if possible.

Can I ask what feelings you get if you approach the door? I know it's anxiety and I know just how crippling that is but in order to tackle the feelings it's important to understand exactly what they are and how you can challenge them.

A person with a racing heart and shaking legs will need to be taught  that those sensations are awful but not harmful and any therapist will tell you that when you first try to go out, that first foot over the door, you will panic and the only way to eventually overcome it is to feel it until it scares you less and eventually fades.

It's not easy and it takes a lot of time, I know how scary it is to do something when absolute terror holds you back from it but please believe me that it is entirely possible to do it, you just have to do it in a very gradual way.

No need to rush, rushing wont help, we are talking baby steps here, one foot over the door whilst still touching it a few times each day is a start and at this point a start is all you need to do, as you become less afraid you put both feet out, then take a few steps away from the door and so it goes on until you build it up to go further.

I do really feel you would benefit from medication though, something to calm you would certainly help you to start  those small steps, I hope you are able to get a doctor to visit you, we have so many meds that can ease anxiety now and when things are this acute medication is very valuable in recovery.

• Posted

My sense of anxiety when i leave the house comes with a sense of hopelessness,extreme fear and when i get back to my safe zone a complete sense of failure falls on me aswell as severe deppression last year i almost drank my to death because of it,i also ended up with chonic pancreatitis as a result,i drank for atlest 6 year's before i had to quit last year,now my anxiety's are much worse knowing i can't hide it behind a bottle,don't get me wrong i hated having to resort to alcoholisim which was awfull, I have moments where i question my sanity and even my life, i also have bad habit to overthink scenarios before attempting them such as talking,or making a simple phone call, and the world has changed alot since i was actually out and living a normal life and your right it causes me dispair.  

• Posted

also another thing i've noticed is that i have serious trouble dealing whith stressfull situation be it sombody arguing or direct confrontations i was never like this years ago,i feel less a man and more like a parody of my former self,it's like im falling apart at the seams piece by peice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.