Air travel 10 days after surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Daughter wants me to travel 10 days after surgery from Vegas to Indianapolis for her wedding.

I don't think it is reasonable. Am I being selfish ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think that sacrifice will be worth it. Ain’t nothing like having your mom at your wedding. I traveled shortly after my tkr last year and I was ok.
  • Posted

What does your surgeon and insurance company advise? I've had to look it up for distance and it's a 4 hour flight. That's quite a long time to be sitting still at 10 days post op. You will be at a higher risk of developing a DVT so I would really get medical advise. Personally I think it's too soon X 

• Posted

AT 10 days post op you are still very much in the worst of the pain from the surgery. I wouldn’t travel until the knee becomes somewhat tolerable. The first month is the worst.
  • Posted

No. I doubt if docs would even consider allowing it. Stitches won't be out, elevated DVT potential and you couldnt handle the pain of airport related movement. I have a rare tumor that blew up and had a lot of swelling. A few days later, not knowing what my problem was, I had to go from KC to ChicAgo for a one day plus overnight. I was hoping the plane would crash just to get me out of my misery and that wasn't close to the tkr pain.

Just tell her to take a laptop and install Skype or one of the live stream apps.give her the money instead of buying the plane ticket.

• Posted

Yes, of course she wants that. However I am sure she wouldn't want you to suffer DVT either! Or a pulmonary embolism!

What do Your health professionals advise?

Give her information on the risks and decide for yourself. It's bad timing but I wouldn't risk it personally.

There is Skype, and all kinds of technology which mean you can share in the day somehow.

• Posted

I love my daughters with all my heart but I wouldn't have attempted it because of the chance of a DVT.  

• Posted

Was thinking a lot about this since our son was recently married...

Could you travel by TRAIN? That would allow you to move around freely as needed and would eliminate issues associated with air travel.

Just a thought...

• Posted

That's a 1500 -1700 mi trip with at least 2 train changes. Almost 2 days each way. I'm sure the Dr s wouldn't allow that. Our train accommodations aren't as efficient in the US as Europe. Car and air travel and long distances have driven trains out of business. That's about 1/2 way across the country.

• Posted

I don't think for a minute your surgeon would let you fly. To be honest it'll be far too much for you to undertake 10 days after surgery? What about your stitches as well, they won't even be out.

• Posted

I've had a knee replacement two years ago and due for another one next month You certainly will not be fit enough to travel any distance apart from that you might have to attend your Physiotherapy department. I live in UK our travel insurance for a flight isn't covered and Doctors do not recommend a fight for six months. You need to keep your knee up to hip level when resting and beware of blood clots if flying. I wouldn't be very comfortable travelling any distance 10 days after surgery 

• Posted

I wasn't comfortable travelling to the toilet at 10 days post op! 😀😁😃

• Posted

Ha! Ha! Just trying to sit on the toilet with a sticky our painful knee wasn't nice. 

• Posted

This is a tough one.  It's your daughter...that's big...but 10 days post-op??? Plus that's a long plane ride.

This just my individual opinion...  I grew up in the 50's in Brooklyn, NY, Italian Catholic, family was everything...  For me, I'd find a way to go.  That includes a wheelchair full time.  Plus, take your meds so you are unconscious on the plane.  Sitting on a plane for that long is going to be painful with no way to elevate.  Get an ice bag at the pharmacy and have the flight attendants keep it full...but really medicate for the trip.

At the reception, find a way to elevate your leg on another chair...keep the ice on...stay on your med schedule.  When you're exhausted, LEAVE!!!  Get to the hotel and go to bed.  Repeat on the way home.

At 10 days, this is really not recommended...but it's your daughter.  When you show up, she should kiss your feet!!!  If you go, you are making a HUGE sacrifice.  It had better be appreciated.

• Posted

Much better to be safe than sorry Surely this daughter isn't thinking of the dangers of travelling so soon after an operation Blood clots infections not to mention the pain. You brilliant message spells it all out Hope she decides to stay safely at home x

• Posted

Just asking, was the wedding booked already for this date or is it sprung on you? Only asking because we had our honeymoon booked after seeing the surgeon and my pre assessment op. I was able to tell them when I wasn't available for the op so they booked me in 2 weeks after x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.