Al surgery has been refused

Posted , 2 users are following.

Without being too long winded. I was knocked off of my motorbike two years ago and still have a slipped discs and alleged Spondylolitheisis. Two NHS surgeons have now refused surgery stating there is nothing to operate on but two independent private surgeons have said I need surgery. The problem is that the insurance company are going through court to get the 3rd party to pay for the op. My question is why the disparity between the surgeons? Is it because of money or there lack of or is it because the injuries aren't bad enough? I am in so much pain and addicted to pain killers. I have nerve problems developing too. I am so lost. Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Many thanks

Matt

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Matt, can the private surgeons not operate on you in the NHS? Most surgeons dabble in both relams and should be able to sort you out via NHS waiting lists?
    • Posted

Apparently they aren't allowed to anymore. Up until a year or so ago if you were assessed by an independent legal medical surgeon they could also do the Op but that has been outlawed. We had a private surgeon lined up but the 3rd party are refusing to pay and it's now going through court.
    • Posted

Can your GP not then refer you to the surgeon who would do it privately, on the NHS?? This still happens in Scotland. Obviously different system of NHS as our hospitals are not trusts. There must be some way round it.

Have you presented the evidence from the private surgeons to the NHS ones? Surely if two surgeons will operate then there must be a reason. They don't do back surgery for no reason. Most on here will tell you the fight they have to get things fixed, me included.

Just don't take no for an answer.

I realise you are in a bit of a dilemma with the court and insurance but it's your health!!!!!! If it turns out to be on your favour make sure you claim for the distress and anxiety caused by the wait and the pain you've had to go through!

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I have a meeting on Monday evening with the consultant who called me today to go over things. I will be taking all of the reports I have detailing the private surgeons findings. You never know he maybe swayed but I am not holding my breath and there is also the private route should my solicitor get them to pay? I am not sure about what else the GP will do? I've had to fight just to get this far over the two years. I've had physio and multiple injections and pain management classes. Even they have said I need surgery. Fingers crossed for Monday I guess. I hope all is well with your back now.
    • Posted

Hope Monday goes the way you hope. It's a really pain having to battle to get what you really need. Too many hoops and obstacles to get over and through.

I'm in recovery just now. Had a double ALIF of L4-S1 9 weeks ago. Slowly getting there but I've now had 3 Op's which have left a lot of nerve damage. Latest surgery has taken 80% of my back pain away which is great. Still have a right foot I can't feel and a dead left thigh! Strange how nerves work and curtail what you can do. I had a discogram before this op which damaged nerves on my left side, left with Femerol Nuropathy (dead left thigh)! It's a pain I put up with having almost cured my back pain. Three sources of pain I can't deal with, two, well, one yeah! Hopefully the pain clinic can sort the left thigh with a lidocaine infusion. Fingers crossed.

Keep us posted about how you get on.

• Posted

Wow, you really have been through it. Hopefully they will get you sorted soon. I too have a numb foot and sciatica in my left thigh. As well as other pain in the legs and back. I hope they can explain why I have all of these problem when they say there is nothing to operate on?

I'll let you know how it goes after the meeting on Monday. Like I said I won't be holding my breath.

Have a good weekend

Matt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.