alcohol and anxiety!?

Posted , 5 users are following.

my doctor recently put me on citalopram for mild depression and anxiety due too drinking alcohol every night for last 4 years, but i have felt like this before and was cleared up with beater blockers, but i carried on drinking! now 2 years later it has returned i know now it must be the drink have googled it too many times! so i havent had a drink for 4 days now but my doctor said just have 2 cans a night instead of 4 or 5 i really think that citalopram is making me worse, So do you think its worth going back to my doctors to get beater blockers and since i now no i dont need beers to get too sleep i can either quit the drink all to gether or just drink 2 cans on night then miss a night!? also i have read that if it the anxiety causing the depression then surely if the anxiety goes then so should the depression. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve

I think you should definately go back to the doctors.  I took citalopram for a short time and i have to say that i felt worse. Also, i know this isnt easy but do try to stop the booze, it all helps. Booze and medication isnt a good idea. Dont worry i am not talking down to you, i have been there myself. It is a long road but it can be done. If i can do it then you can too. But please take each day as it comes. Go back to the doctor, explain all to them. If beta blockers help then ask if they can be prescribed but try to get off the booze. Take up a hobby, or get out there and meet people or join a club/class. I started watercolour painting, very relaxing. Take care Steve and keep in touch. Best wishes.

• Posted

I would of thought ur doc would tell u to cut booze out all together!  I got GAD and booze is a total no no for me I could have a pint and be in bits for days with anxiety
  • Posted

yeah i mean i feel like i dont even need a drink was only drinking out of boredom then i got it in my head that i needed a few beers just to get to sleep and being in the house constantly, started fishing few nights ago seems to be better getting out and about. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.