Alcohol and Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm worried about how i'm using alcohol to self medicate.  I don't get drunk but am having a drink every day as it makes me relax and feel 'normal'.  I get to feel like myself again for a few hours.  Unfortunately it often means i wake up in the night with anxiety and bad thoughts.  Anybody else feel like this - I keep aiming to not have  a drink and then when i do i feel so disappointed in myself. x

2 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Be careful with alcohol, it's great for relaxing I agree but it makes anxiety so much worse once the alcohol wears off. Try and find another way, maybe go running, exercise is great for anxiety 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Alex, i've just got a bicyce and tried riding with my son but as soon as my heart starts racing a bit, my body assumes i'm panicking so if feel panicky!!!!  Does gentler excercise work or not do you think??
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I wouldn't start with riding, as if you have an episode whilst riding you are going to worry that you will seriously hurt yourself whilst having a attack, so exercise on you feet to start with, little run, if you start to feel as of you are panicking running will help as you will be concentrating on your breathing properly anyway x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Catherine, self medicating with alcohol is not a good idea, it's a short term relief but will ultimately make matters much worse as it is a depressant and a massive contributory factor to increasing anxiety. I do understand the temptation to just get some relief though and totally empathise with you.

Equally if you are taking anti depressants or other anxiety drugs you are prejudicing their therapeutic effects and medium term won't feel their benefits, it's a ever decreasing circle.

Ive had problems with alcohol which has resulted in my most recent relapse and have not had a drink now for 6 weeks with the advise given to me to abstain at least until Christmas and then in moderation. 

There are alternatives such as meditation, relaxation exercises, walking, swimming, reading but do please speak to your GP about it all and discuss how your feeling, you won't regret it.

Take care, Neil 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your not a failure Hun. Believe me,I've been there and if somebody told me that eating dog muck would make me feel better,,then guess what I'd be eating?? We all find different ways to cope or get through the day,some healthy,some not!! Drinking as you know makes you feel tons better while you are doing it but the come down or morning after is horrendous. Even when I'm stable and don't have anxiety,I wake with that feeling of dread if I've had a drink the night before. Alcohol is also a depressant so if your gonna be waking feeling awful in a normal day,your gonna be waking feeling triple awful on days where you suffer with anxiety. 

You could have your own mini disco.just you and your son(providing he's not 20,then he may not be so impressed lol). Put some music on,crank it up and dance around and have fun with your son....or maybe get a exercise DVD and do that..... I play online scrabble(right ill raver me) but it keeps my mind occupied and plus you can chat to your opponent.....I think you need to find lots of little distractions so you can move from one thing to another if one thing isn't keeping your attentions maybe start a jigsaw...a colouring book...knitting...then foil pictures...there's so many things you can have just at hand to distract you when you fel anxiety coming on. 

Xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou my son is 7!!!! Its just me and my son so i guess sometimes loneliness takes over - hadn't thought of on-line games!!  I have also been suffering from a lack of emotion (apart from crying!!).  This might help i'll give it a try! Thanks again. xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Catherine, I used to drink just to feel normal due to medical reasons I just stopped it dead then had some bad nights and days saw my Dr and she gave me pills to help  I have never felt Normal as such always an outsider !I hope that you can get someone you trust and talk to them (preferably someone who was a drinker or even AA it can help ! me I tried doing it alone and now I am just a hermit never go out as my panic attacks have got so bad the last couple of years I cant handle it ! lucky enough I have a couple of friends who do things for me so at least I speak to folk twice a week at least, I have problems with communicating with people I dont know thats why I can post on here because of the anonmity! hope my thoughts give you ideas and hope you get better soon x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks.  I feel so sad when i hear people feel as bad as i have.  I used to be agrophobic due to panic attacks.  I can still get about locally at the moment although i suffer from anxiety quite badly at the moment.  When i was housebound, i had a friend who used to visit and walk me to the end of the street, then next time a bit further, then the next time to the shop (not going in!!) etc.  I finally went to CBT classes although i had to get  a taxi there and back.  It REALLY helped.  And although i'm having a bit of a relapse,don't have full panic attacks just severe anxiety. I hate to think of you feeling so bad cos i know how it feels.  Maybe your friends could talk you out?  Hope you find a way to feel a bit better. xx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up