ALCOHOL AND CITALAPRAM

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am taking medication for OCD intrusive thoughts. Been on 20mg for 3 weeks and 10gm for 7 days before that.

One of my troubling thoughts is what if I drink alcohol and loose control and act on my thoughts. So I have not drunk since Christmas. Since beeing on Citalapram this thought intensified.

What has been the reaction when people have drunk alcohol whilst on Citalapram?

Thanks for any input

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi mate,

Citalopram is not a hallucinogenic so there's no worry about it controlling your thoughts. It is however not advised to drink while on Cit. I remember my first few hangovers when starting Cit were pounding headaches.

If you really must drink, then do it in moderation. I myself find it hard to avoid the temptation of a post-work beer or a pre-dinner drink.

• Posted

I drink alcohol if I go out or have wine with dinner and have taken Citalopram for many, many years.  I've never found a problem.  It's advised not to drink with this medication of course, but then most meds carry this as a precaution as some people react differently.

You won't lost control and act on your thoughts.  Alcohol won't make you do this.

My reaction on alcohol whilst on Citalopram is exactly the same as before I was on the medication.  I never drink to get paralytic mind!!  I only have 2 or 3 beers or couple glasses of wine and feel no difference.  We're all different though.

Obviously if you want a drink, then try a small amount and note your reactions.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply what dosage are you on
    • Posted

I was on 20mg for years and am now on 10mg.
  • Posted

Hi

I too take citalopram for the same reason ibhave been on it for nearly 6 months just! I first had a drink after 4 months had a few was ok the next day and that night! Then I build it up and have managed a whole day drinking at a wedding and out the best day but I only drink 4% alco pop at the moment wine is what I like but have had a few classes and so far ok! I too was afraid of the thoughts but to be honest actually sleep better and cope better the next day ! Start slowly and see how you get on!

Emz

• Posted

Thanks for your reply what dosage are you on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.