Alcohol and citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Any experience with mixing these two? Will I be able to have a normal night out or are there some nasty side effects waiting to pounce? I'm asking because I've seen a few people get completely out of it who haves been on ADs so im guessing it vastly lowers your tolerance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have found I'm much less tolerant to alcohol, I will now just have a few drinks as I easily go over the edge and end up passing out or being stupid since taking these. I think its fine in small amounts but big drinking sessions seem ot be a no no for me..
  • Posted

Not found any effect at all. Although I don't know if alcohol affects the citalopram - can't tell. Since alcohol is a depressant you might expect it to make things worse, but it doesn't for me. But then, I only drink red wine. Maybe other forms have different reactions.
  • Posted

I have myself slighty more sensitive to alcohol but started just drinking very slowly so that nothing took me by suprise and now i can a normal night out just having it the back of my head to be aware of how im feelign. However, as last post said terrible hangovers! think the double dose of depressive effects just feels rubbish. I can be a bit tearful and down but nothing serious.

I have a friend who also drinks on occassion whilst taking them and is fine. i'd say just go easy xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

I have continued drinking in moderation since starting my medication mid December with no obvious effects until.......an evening out over Xmas period where I had a terrible experience. Drinking just white wine, about 5/6 glasses over a 4 hour period, I was absolutely wasted and have virtually no memory of the evening, other than what my husband and friends have told me! - very embarrasing and not me at all - must be a connection. :oops:
  • Posted

bigger hangovers is my experience.....
  • Posted

I have been taking Citalopram for over 7 years and have never noticed any adverse effect when mixed with alcohol.yey....... :P
  • Posted

big no go area for me! so intolerant of more thn two glasses.. the combination makes me mad!!!!
    • Posted

I like a few glasses of red wine but I had a terrible time Saturday I had a bottle and that's all I remember my husband said I was screaming and shouting he couldn't control me I eventually passed out went to sleep it has scared me I don't remember anything at all I not drink wine again
  • Posted

[quote:22efbecf4f=\"cav1973 \"]I have been taking Citalopram for over 7 years and have never noticed any adverse effect when mixed with alcohol.yey....... :P[/quote:22efbecf4f]

OMG 7 yrs that does not give me much hope that these pills work then???!!!!

may as well stick with smoking weed to numb out my insecurities or problems whatever are there eh,

shit im so glad i found this site before starting on the citalopram.

good luck matey

• Posted

under-pressure!!! weed is making you depressed! it fucks you right up, citalopram is actually better when it is working and if you take too many you can feel delightfully spaced out (not that i am suggesting that you OD, but i'm actually crazy!) someone has been taking cit for 7years and someone else took it for 6months it is entirely circumstantial! stop being a wuss and take the pills! (tough love)
  • Posted

2nd day od taking cit, i got pissed on 2 pints of cider. my speech was completely slurred and totally lost ability to talk. def no no
  • Posted

[quote:062fb58a0c=\"Tc4l \"]Any experience with mixing these two? Will I be able to have a normal night out or are there some nasty side effects waiting to pounce? I'm asking because I've seen a few people get completely out of it who haves been on ADs so im guessing it vastly lowers your tolerance.[/quote:062fb58a0c]

[color=red:062fb58a0c][b:062fb58a0c]If you read the instructions for Citalopram you will see quite clearly that Alcohol will counter act the Anti-Depressant.[/b:062fb58a0c][/color:062fb58a0c]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.