Alcohol and Depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does alcohol help people who are suffering from depression? I mean I know treating anything with alcohol is generally a bad idea, but does it help at all?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

The answer to this, is a resounding NO! Alcohol has a long-standing reputation for enhancing depression. However, over a century ago, when water was not treated as it is now, what was then called 'small beer' which had an alcohol content of no more than 1.5%, was drunk by many people because it was safer than water which even in this country could have things like Typhoid etc in it. Tea became popular because people knew/realised that making a drink using boiling water, or drinking water which had been boiled and then allowed to get cold killed off quite a few of these nasty things.

I think I am correct in saying, that alcohol, initially delivers an 'effect' that seems to slightly deaden some feelings, but then pretty soon afterwards, works completely the opposite way, enhancing things like depression and paranoia far, far more than it's initial 'deadening' effect, and can also  mess up any type of medication, even non-prescribed ones, regardless of whatever it is for.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, Alcohol is a depressant and will only add to your problems with depression as well as other problems. Stay clear especially if your on meds as this can cause adverse side effects. You would be better to seek out therapy or counselling. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

For the first hour or so you feel beter, then you feel worse for a long time. It causes depression eventually and it depeletes your vitamins and minerals, mostly magnesium if you dont have a good stock of it in your body - and then you would get a bad headaches because it has drained you of the magnesium you needed.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I totally agree, It doesn't help at all. Also it damages a lot of organs in our body, and it increases the chance to have cancer in the liver, mouth, throat and esophagus.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

answer is NO alcohol is a depressant x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you everyone. I was asking for my friend. He has anxiety and depression, and I was trying to figure out why he drinks when he is depressed. I thought it would make it worst.. and I can frankly see that it makes it worst. But for some reason, it is his go to solution for a depression spell. (He refuses to take depression medication.)

Maybe it is the initial buzz that he is after.. he does drink get excited and invigorated and 30 -45 minutes later goes for another. Maybe that is when it wears off and he starts to feel more depressed than he started. The cycle generally doesn’t stop until he passes out, sleeps it off for 10 hours and hopefully doesn’t wake up depressed.  

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up