Alcohol and medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

i haven't had an alcoholic drink to almost 6 months I have anxiety and depression my meds are 40 mg seroxat all the advice I've read is not to drink, I taken this medication 5 years ago 20 mg and I was able to have a couple of drinks and I was OK but I had depression not anxiety then How do any of you get on with alcohol and meds?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Alcohol is not a good idea with medication but people do it.

Alcohol is a stimulant and will not help your anxiety or depression

Lil

• Posted

Thank you Im clutching at straws to be normal I know I shouldn't drink I feel so awful all the time I often think it would be nice to relax with one glass of wine but I could feel a worse next day that would be realy hard to cope with.
    • Posted

Yeh that was my problem I felt great at the time but the next day my anxiety was through the roof and it felt like I had a hangover for 3 or 4 days afterwards even when I only had a glass or 2 of wine.

But everyone is different

Lil

• Posted

I think it depends on how much you drink and your own response to alcohol. Drinking made me anxiety free at the moment I was drinking, so I drank too much too often. The down side was the next day when I felt even lower and extremely anxious - what's the cure for this - drink again!! I think if you have a healthy relationship with alcohol and drink moderately and socially you should be ok. For people with a vulnerability to alcohol it's a nightmare and just makes things worse. If you regularly drink you won't feel the effects of the medicine though. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you Sara I was never a big drinker just a beer and couple glasses  of wine would be great but I'm so low and anxious I'm scared how I would feel next day after one drink. I appreciate your reply 
  • Posted

Hi Peac I do have the odd big night a 6 pack or bottle of wine and I'm fine next day. I always have been and yes I know you shouldn't. It may be my AD ad it seems a bit different to most. I am by no means saying do it but a glass or even half every now and then will be fine. Any strange feelings call hospital straight away and tell them stupid woman on line said it would be O K xxx
  • Posted

I would strongly advise against excessive drinking...that's just common sense...maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine or a couple beers but be careful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.