Alcohol & Anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

How does everyone feel the day after drinking alcohol as soon as I wake up I feel 1000% times more anxious I check my pulse every few minutes I really can’t relax I didn’t drink loads last night just a few drinks  I hate anxiety 😢 I wanna wake up and feel good not crap 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Strangely enough, alcohol is a stimulant...  Maybe that is why your anxiety gets heightened.  Morning anxiety is the worst.  I feel ya.
  • Posted

Last week I had a couple glass ( big one) of wine  moments after going to bed my heart quivered and the was beating at 170. I'm never drinking again. Anxiety sucks! 

• Posted

Well expect to feel like sh*t when you drink. That’s why I quit. And yes it’s normal to have anxiety from alcohol. Might make you feel good because it acts on your GABA receptors the same way benzodiazepines do. But in the long run your killing you self.
  • Posted

Alcohol is the poisson that if you have anxiety will make your feelings so much worse 

Probably better just to stop 

But a few drinks or 2 should not be enough to give you the feeling of hangover and dehydration 

Alcohol has so many negative effects ta on your body and mind 

Stop drinking for 1 month see how you feel 

• Posted

Sounds like you have the same thing I had. I got to where I could not tolerate alcohol. ..I had heart racing more and more every single time and felt so ill. I highly recommend you avoid alcohol and assume you have sensitivity/intolerance to it. Which some people do have. They lack the necessary enzyme to break down alcohol which is in fact highly toxic to your liver anyway. Not a natural substance for the body. If this happens every time you drink you will learn in time that your body just cannot handle alcohol. That's what happened to me. Now I do not drink anything ever and I never have that problem! :-)

• Posted

It's not so much that it "causes anxiety" as that it messes with your blood sugar and other chemicals in the body so that ADRENALINE IS RELEASED and that is what causes the heat racing and then, for most of us on here, anxiety. And any feeling ill will cause the anxiety too. With alcohol the blood pressure can go haywire and cause nausea and hot flushing feeling. Many Asians lack an enzyme necessary for the liver to break down the alcohol molecules bUT other ethnicities can also have this issue and their body simply cannot tolerate alcohol. It is not an "allergy" per se, but you might as well call it that. You will become ill from the alcohol long before any "hangover" could even set in, and that is how you will know. In this case, common sense would dictate immediate cessation of any and all alcohol. Sometimes the body "Just says no".

• Posted

It’s “hangxiety” it’s the feelings of anxiety experienced with a hangover. I suffer from it terribly. My anxiety goes through the roof if I’m hanging. It will pass, once the handover has subsided. But I get it so bad that I am completely T-Total, I just can’t bear the feelings the following day. I’m not sure about Propanalol but certainly with the medications I take I am not allowed to drink anyway. I think it’s best to avoid alcohol (I avoid caffeine too) if you’re someone who suffers from severe anxiety.  
    • Posted

Hi propranolol are perfectly fine to drink on but it’s just the day after obviously friggin horrible xx
  • Posted

Hi

I don’t drink much so don’t know. 

I’d imagine if I did I’d be more paranoid the next day. Not sure why? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.