Alcohol - is it making my anxiety worse?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I drink on 5 days out of 7. Usually 3 glasses of wine each night but sometimes a couple more. I am starting to wonder whether this is contibuting to my anxiety. Maybe I should stop completely. Anyone out there had a similar experience??

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo,, please lay of the alcohol it makes the anxiety 10 times worse, like you I always had a few drinks every night but have stopped now because I found that it made me feel good for a little while then later on I felt terrible and felt unwell all through the night, ive not had a drink for about 3 weeks and I feel better for it ,still have all the usual symptoms of anxiety but can cope better without the alcohol, take care smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jo

Yes it can worsen it, significantly... do you find you wake early and then are unable to return to sleep due to feeling anxious and too alert? It's unpleasant. It doesnt affect me as bady as it used to, but it can become a real issue... Are you taking an medication? or receiving any other help for anxiety?

Jane

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

Yes, it wrecks my sleep but it's such a quick fix. I have recently started back on Prozac after a 3 month break.  Seeing a therapist and recently had hypnotherapy. I sometimes manage 4 days off the booze but i struggle with longer break than that.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi it's like I use to drink lots of coffee and that made me way dizzy but I have cut that out how no dizziness 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up