All at sea

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry I have not been here for a time I have been studying for my Power Boat Certificate, yesterday we were in the River Estuary and out at sea doing all our final manovers and man overboard etc for about ten hours. We both passed and now with having our Radio Certificate can get a power Cruiser to enjoy our retirement. This has also put several ghosts to rest from when I was been trained as a MN Radio Engineer at College, I had bottled out and now in some ways have shown I have been able to learn and retain many activities I lost when I left College. It has also given me the chance of going to sea as a hobby, at college I lost that as well.

My Wife also past both tickets as well and She is over the moon as she has never had an interest to go to sea.

Trying diversions and looking for new interests do help us with Depression and Anxiety. It takes our minds of our troubles, fears and concerns. It does not need to be to complex of an activity, just something you would love to try. This can gain you confidence and some form of achievement.

Try and see how you get on, it may help.

BOB

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well done bob to both you and your wife!! I've often thought learning new things is a great way to combat bad feelings!!

What's on the agenda then a world round trip maybe?

I've often dreamt of obtaining a pilots licence I'd love that but thought maybe at 40 I'm to old to venture on such a long winded process maybe not after all!!

• Posted

No World Cruise sad to say, We will be touring around the East Coast this year if we get a boat, 

Next year we will be power boating on the West Coast of Scotland around the Inner Hebrides. We will most probably be up there for four week periods. This year is a learning so we become profficient sailors

Yes I have thought about learning to fly as well, in my case I think I am to old for that at sixty seven.

It will be ok at 40 years old, GO FOR IT !!!!!!. Life is for your dreams.

BOB

• Posted

Congratulations Bob and to your lovely wife. Now the fun can start hope you manage to get the boat you want and not have to have too much work done to it.

I am really pleased for you good idea to take short trips first to get your bearings and sea legs.The boating people are all very freindly and helpful, you enjoy yourselves you both deserve it. It has cheered my day up hearing your news as it has been a rubbish several days at work. xx

Another small snippet from my past I learnt to fly many years ago, got as far as flying solo once never sweated so much in all my life but couldn't wipe the grin off my face once I'd taken off, did my circuit around the airfield and landed. Again there is a lot of studying passing exams, medical etc.and expensive and that was along time ago when I was young and stupid. Now i'm old and still stupid.

Tina x

• Posted

Tina

To manage as far as you had in flying you are no way stupid. It takes a sharp brain and super concentration to get into the air.

When we get older we do get slower and we become more tentitive in our actions. My Wife worked with someone who was getting on a bit and She sold Her Aircraft, She used to hire one at various times of the year, She was a very capable person.

We do need to look for diversions especially if we suffer low mood and Depression, Diversions help us bring ourselves around and keep us active.We had our instructor on last night Hazel had put Her Birthday down as in May 1917. We all make errors and no one is pefect.

Yes the Sailing flaternity are friendly, the ones we have met. including those those who have trained us up. They will help us with choosing the craft and explain how the Marine Electronics work.

BOBxx

• Posted

Well done both of u & thanks for ur kindness the last few weeks bob xx much much appreciated ;0) xx

• Posted

Thank you Amanda.

We now now need a boat and learn about all the Marine Electronics. it may have Our Instructors from the Course will help us understand and choose a boat and also train us in its operation. We were given an introduction to various pieces of kit, that is al

BOBxx

• Posted

Wow you both are still enjoying an adventure and living the dream. I want to get to that one day xx enjoy yourselves xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.