All available treatments/procedures for prostate problems

Posted , 15 users are following.

i think it would be a worthwhile effort to assemble a master list of what's available or being promoted by the medical industry. for urinary problems.

The good, the bad and the ugly!

I'm sure I'll have to make a decision on one sometime soon.

I'm beginning a search for a new uro as my current prescribed a daily dosage of Tamulsin that could have killed me!

He's also been pushing to do a urolift.

I hope we can do this!

Include side effects, problems and other info.

Thanks to all

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are some websites out there that provide a decent comparison of the options for treating BPH, starting with medications. If you google "comparing treatments for enlarged prostate', you'll find more than one site that compares them. Interestingly, though, one of the better ones isn't current enough to list Rezum, which should be included for comparison.

The best advice that someone could give you right now is to do your research online. Most urologists have a preferred (or only) procedure that they do, and they will recommend it whether it's best for you or not.

• Posted

Hi Johnny

I second your proposal. Having recently joined the ranks of the BPH community I have been somewhat blinded by the plethora of treatments being discussed on this forum - particularly the use of acronyms that may be meaningful to the initiated but are generally Greek to me.

I am currently on Tamsulosin (0.4mg/day). Only been taking it for a couple of months and have not experienced any major side effects apart from maybe 2 spells of dizziness when I got up too quickly. Have not experienced the retro-ejaculation (generally RE in posts) and I am feeling the benefits in less peeing frequency both night and day. However I do realise that alpha blockers like Tamsulosin are only viewed as a delaying strategy and that at some point in the future I may need to look at surgical intervention of one sort or another.

A comprehensive list of what is currently available and what the major pros and cons are would make the decision process at least more rational for the patient. It would potentially avoid them being steamrollered by a Urologist into surgery that may not be in their best interest. Not saying that all urologists are reactionary Luddites but from a few posts on here there are some out there who fit this description

• Posted

Report is tagged as inappropriate Will not open

• Posted

Good morning Johnny

If you put in list for top 10 prostate procedure it will give you the top 10. 9 out of the 10 do have side effects.

Urolift is the only one that has no side effect. It has nothing to do with your erection and it does not effect your ejaculation. They can put in 2 to 8 clips. You can have it done in a office or some doctor will do it in a surgery center.

You have to make your own list. And then do your research. I am going on 4 years with my Urolift. I had 4 clips and I am still wide open. It will take the pressure off of the bladder neck.

When looking for a new urologist you have to see what they do because not all doctor do all the procedure. You have to make a list of pros and cons of a procedure. If your prostate is to big you may not be able to have some of the procedure.

There are some other least evasive procedure.

Urolift would be first because no side effects. Then PAE if it works. With this one there is a longer healing time and you can get retro to a point because your ejaculation will be less. Rezum is also a less evasive procedure. It can also work but there is a 10 % chance of retro.

You have to do your own research on any procedure that you do. You have to see if you can deal with any of the side effects. Because this is going to happen to your body

Take care and good luck.......Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken you forgot for miniinvasive very effective new methods

REZUM and FLA . I underwent FLA 8 months ago, ...........my rebirth. 😃Especially in case of big median lobe this works properly. Stan .

p.s. Who needs details pls PM me.

• Posted

Hey Stan

Sorry about that Stan.

I did mention Rezum. It is one of the starting step with Urolift and PAE.

I do know about FLA and I do know that it has help many men. I talk with Dr. K a few times a month. Nice guy. But I do not feel that it is a less evasive procedure because you are cutting away at the prostate and all that you have to go through to have it done. Also the cost is not in a lot of out budgets.

Glad all went well for you...Take care....Ken

• Posted

"Urolift is the only one that has no side effect. It has nothing to do with your erection and it does not effect your ejaculation. They can put in 2 to 8 clips. You can have it done in a office or some doctor will do it in a surgery center."

This is absolutely false. UroLift does not have any reported SEXUAL side effects, but has many other potential side effects like actually increasing urge and frequency, which many men have reported have been a 'permanent issue."

Everyone knows you like UroLift and that's fine, but please Ken, don't put out info that although you may not mean it to be, is actually bad information, thanks!

• Posted

Actually, there was one patient on this forum who recently reported having ED after Urolift. Still, sexual side effects are very rare with Urolift. Also, I made numerous attempts before at trying to keep Ken's enthusiasm with Urolift down to a more realistic level, but to no avail. 😀 Hanki

• Posted

And my good friend Ken's thing about GL and HoLep.

• Posted

Lvscott

Thanks for the advice but I am only telling you what I have learn on line from my doctor and one of the inventors of the procedure which I talk to 2 times a month.

Also I was told by Mr. Neil Barber a well know doctor in the UK that if you don't want any sexual side effects the Urolift is 100 % As long has the prostate is the problem. That is why you have to have the test done.

You can say the same about any prostate procedure they all cause some sort of problems. They all can cause potential side effects like urge and frequency. We all have to do the research. There was just a 5 years study on men that have had the Urolift done all were fine just some minor problem. If that is all I have to deal with to save all my sexual function. So be it.

By the way. The only way you can get retro from a Urolift is if the doctor does it wrong and messes up the bladder neck. There is a bar that is inserted in. It has to be kept away from the bladder neck.

I hope you have a great day.............Ken

• Posted

Good evening Hank...Thank You

That would be Den. He is the only one in 8 years that we have heard that got ED from Urolift

He will be taking a month off to relax and get these together.

I will be helping him after the 1 st of the year to see what went wrong. And believe me we will find out what happen

Men can have whatever procedure they want. No one can push them into having a procedure they do not want. We are only giving our opinions so then can make the right choice. Because they will have to deal with the side effect.

I hope you all have a good day........Ken

• Posted

I can absolutely tell you that there is a real risk of infection in the long-term from UroLift.. While that risk is not known to be high now, I'm talking years down the line. It has implanted metal associated within a human gland. We simply do not know how that will react in the long term.

Personally, I'm so sick of these 'treatments.' I don't think this condition would be that hard to actually cure. Sadly, it'll take $$$$$ signs to get there, and even sadder, we have the technology to get there now.

• Posted

My Friend

Thank you for that information.

I will keep a eye on it. Will be 4 years in April

Have a good day...............Ken

• Posted

Good morning Johnny

If you put in list for top 10 prostate procedure it will give you the top 10. 9 out of the 10 do have side effects.

Urolift is the only one that has no side effect. It has nothing to do with your erection and it does not effect your ejaculation. They can put in 2 to 8 clips. You can have it done in a office or some doctor will do it in a surgery center.

You have to make your own list. And then do your research. I am going on 4 years with my Urolift. I had 4 clips and I am still wide open. It will take the pressure off of the bladder neck.

When looking for a new urologist you have to see what they do because not all doctor do all the procedure. You have to make a list of pros and cons of a procedure. If your prostate is to big you may not be able to have some of the procedure.

There are some other least evasive procedure.

Urolift would be first because no side effects. Then PAE if it works. With this one there is a longer healing time and you can get retro to a point because your ejaculation will be less. Rezum is also a less evasive procedure. It can also work but there is a 10 % chance of retro.

You have to do your own research on any procedure that you do. You have to see if you can deal with any of the side effects. Because this is going to happen to your body

Take care and good luck.......Ken

• Posted

Go to top right and use the search facility just for 'prostate' or any individual procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.