All done!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just a quick update. I had my op late last Tuesday afternnon, a total hysterctomy with ometum thrown in. The scans had indicated a 10cm cyst and as i had a raised CA 125 so there was a chance of OvCa.

The op went well and they released me Friday lunchtime. The surgeon assues me there was no sign of anything sinister, although i still need to get the final all clear after the cysts (there were 2 both the size of orahges) have been examined. But I do recall hearing two nurses talking while I was still very groggy and one telling the other that it wasn't cancer-which also seems to be what the doc was trying to say too!!!

So- a little advice for anyone else having this op: Don't worry too much about loading yourself down with stuff to take into hospital- I barely touched the stuff i had. My Kindle was a life saver but everything else is provided. This a big op and all you will do is have blood pressure and temp taken every four hours and swallow endless painkillers. The patient operated morphine was amazing in the first 24 hours and I can't say I experienced much pain. at all Trapped wind is a bit nasty but I got mine when I started eating and so was able to get to the loo to allow nature to take its course. The best thing to take with you is a positive attitude. Listen to the staff and let them help  and guide you while you are in hospital and then rest, potter about a bit and let other people do stuff for you once you are home. BTW the food at my hospital was just horrible so might need something nice bringing in, if you have any appetite that is.

I'll write more later- balancing my laptop on one leg isn't easy LOL. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to help

Chris

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thankyou so much for sharing this today Chrissie. Im in almost the same situation you were with the elevated CA 125 and a few cysts on ovaries. I have a CT scan on Wednesday which I am dreading over what they find. Did you have a CT scan before your operation or did they go with what was seen on Ultrasound?

I believe I will be operated on quite soon depending on what is found on Wednesday.

Thankyou for being so positive and allowing us to share that with you. Im extremely nervous so its been a real help to read this morning x

• Posted

Hi awaywiththefairies and julie2510

i did have a CT scan yes and it helped clarify things. The radiographer thought the cyst (initially they thought there was just one) looked like a dermoid, but that was what i had been told after the ultrasound. More helpfully the CT scan showed no signs of anything wrong anywhere in my abdomen or thorax so although, like you, i was a complete wreck about having it done, in the end it was actually a doddle and really helped the team make the right decision for me. Please try not to be too freaked out. The VERY worst part was the waiting and if you can sort of then go with flow and think ahead to how you'll be feeling once its all done and you are well again it makes going through it all a bit easier.

No,no premed, which was a bit of a surprise. I had been waiting to go to theatre since 11 am and it was 6 hours till they came for me. The anaesthestist was lovely and really helped, saying he knew this a big deal for me but for them it was totally routine and it would all be fine. And while its not anything anyone would choose to go through so far he's been right.

Good luck to you both and keep thinking positive thoughts

Chris xxx

• Posted

Hi Chrissie23 thank you very much for that up date.I go in a week on Friday for the same op as you.I have a 11cm cyst on my left ovarie and i am scared to death.Did you have a pre med before you went to theatre xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.