All the negative posts are killing me

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have been ambivalent for the past year. Should I or should't I ? I'm bone against bone but still can walk short distances with minimal pain. My passion is tennis and my current knee has reduced me to "geezer" tennis. I'm 66.  To be honest I am really surprised with the amount of people posting so many post-op problems. Perhaps it's only the people with difficulty that are motivated to write in the Forum. The more I read everybody's post the less motivated I get to go under the knife. I guess I have to be more incapacitated. That I guess will make me do the TKR that I really need to make me whole again.

0 likes, 42 replies

Report / Delete

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh dear Psychonurse, I do feel as though I've contributed to your indecision. I went into my surgery without ever reading anything here and was totally open minded and happy to proceed. I couldn't walk far prior surgery, I too was bone on bone, and ached constantly. Tennis, not a chance!

I had a conversation with hubby yesterday that if I need the other knee done, I wouldn't do it unless I had absolutely no other choice.

The first couple of weeks weren't too bad - thanks to loads of meds.

But.. I'm thinking the coming off meds is the tricky bit.

I'm now off everything - and the pain really isn't the bad part for me.

I've had bouts of depression and insomnia which for me have been unbearable.

That's the part I don't think I could deal with again.

I'm now only 6 weeks post surgery and am constantly told, its only early days yet.

I wish you luck but encourage you to realllllllly think about your situation before going under the knife.

At this point .. would I do it again? No.

But ask me again in a year, and I may change my tune.

Best of luck,

Lindy

Victoria, Australia

TK - 27/4/15

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Psychonurse.  I'm 56 years old and active. Prior to the surgery it was severe pain to walk 100 ft.  4 weeks after surgery I was walking a mile with a cane.  It has been almost 5.5 months since my surgery and I am extremely happy with the results.  I ride my bike routinely and worry about my lungs, not my knee.  Walking is like breathing freely again. Swimming ... no problem.  I understand that this isn't the case for everyone.  I also understand that without the TKR, I would be getting worse and worse, and would dread every little drop in temp etc.  Am I 20 again?  Nope.  Did my hair grow back? Negative.  This is one grateful receipient and I would go thru those months of "less than fun" again without looking back.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Great to hear Sky1996. I'm 56 too, and only 6 weeks post TKR. Now I can't wait to get to 5.5 months!! Like you I was also active prior to surgery.

Cheers,

Lindy

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You know there is still pain some times as everything knits but what is to be expected?  The body is trying to heal around this huge foreign body. They take such precautions against the infections but statistically that sometimes happens and my heart goes out to those folks.  I think it is realistic to recognize  that it takes much longer than we have patience for.  This thread was a huge help to me.  A lot is venting and I did my share I will tell you.  It feels good because so many come back with identical responses and you feel so much less alone.  No one but you knows what you're going through and honestly,  people close to you tire of hearing about it. There are some great people on this thread just trying to get thru it. Just day by day it!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The one,s with no problems are on with their lives. When you hear complaints about automobiles, there are no e from satisfied buyers. Fact is, a certain number go bad for various reasons, some on the medical side and some are patient. I can tell you, no one gets back to an activity like yours soon and maybe me we because thecprosthesis is not built to take the abuse the natural knee does. Right now, under optimum use you can expect 15 yrs on a prosthesis. My 1st one lasted 9. B ecause of staph infection I have had to have my 3rd one

In 2 1/2. You really have to be the judge of how much pain you can bear and what you are doing to trade off to be pain free some day. Surgeons I ly operate. They aren't great at discussing their problem areas unless they are dealing in life or death situations. Here you get the stuff Dr's are mum about. Be your own advocate but age us not your friend. I was your age when I was forced to have n my 1st one. Due to my condition, now am.most 13 years later, I just had my 1wth surgery. Am I typical......furthest thing from it but complications from a rare tumor put me where I am today. Study it and weight all the facts and make a decision best for you.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 58 and 7 week post op today and my tkr is the best thing I have ever done. Before the op I could barely walk for the 7 month leading upto it. I had stopped going to the gym and all the exercise classes. Walking was out of the question and I didn't even go on the works Xmas do as I couldn't have had a dance with the rest if them. If there was ever a time of depression and tears Then that was the time ! I'm here now with discomfort around the knee area as the healing is still going on. But knee pain ..... Absolutely none !!! I can walk without crutches for short distances ( about half an hour )and improving daily , the limp had gone too yes it was painful at first especially the first 10 days but my God ! It's been worth it. If I need the other knee done in the future il jump at the chance xx. Give yourself the opportunity to enjoy life while your young enough . We only have one pop at life so make the most of it x Linda x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, Im now 9 months post op Yesterday I was digging  yes digging (Hubby says "not a lot") in my allotment. Its now a pleasure to be there. I can walk as far as I want to without pain (a niggle on downward stairs). There is now nothing I wont attempt.

Tennis? If tennis is classed as a high impact sport (which I think it might be) then its not for you post op because of wear & tear factor and the need for a second replacement. I enjoyed running up to marathon distance in geriatric time (Im 70 today) but thats gone and Im a spectator. 

I take it your RMN well as RGN Id say go for it, somethings in your life will change but overall the quality will improve. 

Do your research on hospitals/surgeons. Id recommend Prof Deehan at The Freeman Newcastle (he has clinics at RVI) Just go for it

Just remember when reading the comments here My op was major surgery (which it is) but everyone elses is minor.

Best of luck and post your niggles, lack of pain management, lack of physio, knee bends, knee straightening, walking, stairs and the ability to walk again without pain.

Do it while your fit as the post op will be easier. Go to the gym, strengthen the quads. 

Allow yourself to be cared for post op.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just DO IT im 57 and I too was bone on bone and couldnt walk anywhere without pain. Now ive been on this forum loads cos ive had loads of problems since my op 5.3.15 but I can honestly say ive nowhere near the amount of pain I had and now I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Of course people on here are negative because if it had been straight forward we wouldnt need a forum like this??? The same week I had mine done a 77 year old friend had his done and he was off his crutches and out and about pain free within 6 weeks so there ya go made me feel a right twit but hey ho!!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 8wks post TKR and I'm so glad I've had it done. Before my op, I was in constant pain, couldn't walk any distance and was completely fed up!!! Now, I'm back at the gym, going to Aquasize classes and enjoying life again. I use an exercise bike at home and also a wii fit which I really enjoy. Ok, it's not a doddle going through the operation but I can honestly say that now I have no pain, just some stiffness first thing and am feeling 'normal' again!!! The things you have to remember are; do the exercises that you are given, rest and ice regularly. Use bio oil as a massage onto the scar as soon as dry and look to the future. It might be a bit different but it is still definitely worth living. Good luck with your operation and be positive?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I forgot to say I am 66 next month. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh and yesterday when I went out in my car ,driving again, I forgot to take my stick so obviously I don't need that either. !!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

when is it time?    But ask yourself is it inevitable?

if it has to be done, then what a good position you are in to be able to decide when!

I turned down "the journey" as my consultant said this is what it was, 3 years ago, the pain wasn't that bad, I didn't have time in my life, I mentally wasn't ready.

But 3 years on still not in pain, but the activities I had stopped  like walking a mile, shopping, and pub crawling with friends, and the final straw watching a video walking with the grandchildren and limping alongside like some old dear!     Was the make a decision time,    At 58 I didn't want to look 68 !

I am 10 weeks on,    I was prepared with time out, and expected to be incapacitated for 3 months,  you cannot expect no easy ride, but as someone said to me, take the medication everything that is offered, do as you are told, 

- do I want my old knee back, NO -  

week by by week I have had improvement and yesterday I went shopping with husband and 2 year old grandson, and wasn't left sitting with the oldies while they went the full length of the shopping mall.   I went with them with a lovely even walk!

this forum has done the one thing for most of us, that what ever point you need to talk to someone day or night, someone is listening,

i didnt want want to keep moaning to my husband, he didn't have the answers.

i have kept my sanity and been thankful to read and contribute on here, "the journey" would have been so lonely and difficult on my own, as what you need is people " in the same boat" 

You will know when you are not so much in pain, but do it like I did before you become incapacitated, the recovery from muscles that are still in action is so much easier.

good luck hope these posts help.

sue x 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Psychonurse,

I am only 6 days post op and i cant remember the amount of times ive been negative,i just think its part and parcel of the situation,we all have bad days but there are and will be many good days..please make the right decision for you x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up