Allergic?

Posted , 10 users are following.

has anyone had an allergic reaction to the implant?  I am 13 weeks po.  I am experience some itching on the knee and around. No rash. I am allergic to artificial jewelry.  My knee looks normal. It still is pretty sore when getting up, stiff, sore at night when moving around. Clicks a lot when walking.  The itch is what scares me. My husband says probably healing.  I would think past that.  Scared a little, a lot.  Really don't want a revision. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience or allergy Thanks for your help.   Sandy

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am having same. Feel the itch but can't quite scratch it away so I rub my legs. I figured it is healing and as I had double tkr.. definitely don't want revisions! Already have issues with part being slightly too big. Good luck and hope it's just getting better!

• Posted

The itch feels as though it is under the skin esp on the right side and over the knee cap.   Thank u
  • Posted

I did get the itching for awhile too. Suddenly it was gone. I think it was part of the healing process too. I put lotion on it a couple of times a day.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am happy I have this summer get. Always makes me feel better
  • Posted

I've heard of that with hip replacement but different metals are used in the two prosthesis. I'm guessing it's nerves healing as they are very slow in the process. Talk to your Dr. There are a couple of drugs that can help. Gabepentin being one and lyrica another. I've had good luck with high doseage gabepentin

• Posted

I had the itch the and found massaging with oil relieved it, then t just went away, only had itver a two week period
    • Posted

Thank u. I just thought it funny after so long, since April 6, 16. 
  • Posted

Tennessee, the healing process is long and there's so much that's mending back up in there. Because there aren't any other symptoms, I'd say the itching is normal. If there were a new puffiness or heat, then I'd be worried. As far as the clicking goes...completely normal. I was at three months when I found this site. My clicking was driving me crazy with concern - it sure was helpful to find out that I was in the normal range. I've since come to find out that my knee cap in one of the knees is not in great shape and that gives me a bit of a grinding noise. But I'm now nearly 22 months post op.

• Posted

I get chills in my leg, maybe that's nerves also, but the knee does get hot after activity or the end of the day. I really don't know if that's new. Thank u .

• Posted

If I remember correctly, that sort of heat is normal. I'm talking more about the heat that is there when you do nothing. I had something going on around 6 weeks. A red spot appeared and grew. It was a little warm to the touch. Then a white spot appeared like a big painful pimple. My sister is a nurse so after talking with her, we decided I had a piece of a stitch working it's way out. A few weeks later, it happened again. The thought was because this was the path that the previous one had gone, it was now the path of least resistance and another was working it's way out. It was disgusting, but once it was done, all was fine.

• Posted

Hi TENNESSEE

i Had TKR 8 months ago. Developed a rash after about a month and had a general itching in different parts of my body. The rash has been seen to,the itching stopped after probably 4 mths but I was the same as you,I thiought I may have an allergic reaction to the metal . I did not go back to the surgeon who did it as I thought hed fob me off. Instead I saw an eminent surgeon privately. He assured me there were no known cases of this worldwide. Ihave had clunkl/clicking from the start to the present day. Clicks every time I move my leg,with no pain as such. Im prepared to put up with that as I think despite what others say it will be for life. But I think you may be worrying unnecessarily about allergy. Just like I did. All the best.

• Posted

John, thank u. That helps a lot.  I don't have the rash., but everything else. I probably should give the pain and tenderness at least 6 months. I have to go through the other knee also.  Thank you

• Posted

Youre welcome T. I still gert a bit of pain after 8 mont6hs,nothing drastic but Im a lot further on time wise than yourself. People on here tell me its normal considering all the trauma of the operstion. I heard most of it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.