Allergic reaction to Methimazole

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good evening,

I was recently diagnosed with Graves Disease and placed in Methimazole 10mg twice a day. I have been taking the Med for 2 weeks and I am having extreme itching and a rash. When speaking with my dr she suggested I go to a dermatologist . I did and she prescribed ointments and an otc lotion.  Neither of these are helping much. Has anyone else had this reaction and what have you done to cure the itch? 

Thank you 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, unfortunately, this is a rather common side effect of Methimazole. I took antihistamine tablets and the itching subsided. You could also apply Calamine lotion if a particular area is affected. (In my case it was the torso, arms,  and even the palms of my hand.) The itching disappeared after a few weeks. (I was on a titration regime and my dose got tapered as opposed to a block and replace regime were you take a high dose of Methimazole throughout the treatment period.) 

If it should get worse then let your doctor know. You might have to switch to a different antithyroid medication. If I were you I would stick with it for a while since alternative antithyroid meds might have side effects too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.