Allergic to eye drops ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice. I had a cataract operation 2 days ago in my right eye ( I have glaucoma and cataracts in both ) so I know it's early days. I just wondered if anybody has been on maxitrol and prednisolene eye drops after surgery. I don't know if it's just coincidence ( or bad luck) but the right eye is streaming every time I use drops especially prednisolene which stings like hell and the right side of my nose is streaming too. I'm constantly blowing it (which I'm sure can't be helping my eye) . I just can't decide if it's a cold and came on as soon as I had the cataract op or if I'm allergic to the drops. Would be thankful for any advice.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had 2 types of drops as well when my left cataract was done last year. You do get sensitivity to light, the eye can feel sore and it stung so I would think it normal. What the eye hospital did say is that if you are concerned, call and see them. Best advice!
    • Posted

Thanks Dennis, sure it'll settle soon and at hospital on Monday regarding glaucoma so will def mention it there.
  • Posted

I'm severely allergic to the eye drops they use to dilate the eyes during a pre-op and probably the same drops used during surgery. 3 pre-ops and my face swells, my nose, throat, forehead... my whole face swells up and the blasted thing lasts about a month! I only clicked as to what caused it after my last pre-op last November when it happened again (swelling) soon after the pre-op drops were applied to both my eyes!

Dennis' reply is good advice... I'd call the eye clinic/hospital and see what they say.

• Posted

That's severe frankiefoo and I thought I had problems, hope you don't have to go through that ever again and there is an alternative drop for you.
  • Posted

When I had a post cataract operation problem with eye drops I phoned the out of hours number I had been given. If you did not get one phone the hospital and ask to be put through the ophthalmology ward
    • Posted

Thanks Derek I did ring them the day after because one of the drops said on the information leaflet not to be taken if you have glaucoma ( which I do ) hospital said it'd be fine the dr wouldn't have prescribed them if there was an issue. Never thought I'd be looking forward to a hospital appt. but be glad to get there on Monday. Thanks for advice Derek.
    • Posted

I find that the eye department is the most responsive. If only cardiologly were the same!
  • Posted

Don't your aftercare instructions include the suggestion to contact wherever you had the op if you have any questions?   If I were you I'd be doing that without delay 
    • Posted

Yes I rang and was told it just takes time to settle ( it is only 2 days since op ) still I'm glad I'm at the glaucoma clinic on Monday because first check up appt. following cataract op isn't until 7/12 which I personally think is to long to check alls OK. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.