Almost Two Weeks Post-op + Constipation

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm an 18 year old girl and I've had haemorrhoids off and on for the past two years. At first when I went to the doctor for it, describing my condition (which at the time I didn't know the name of) she straight up told me what I was describing didn't exist so I felt discouraged and just lived with it for the next two years. Fast forward to two weeks ago it happens again but this time it's painful and I'm bleeding and it won't go back in so I went to the hospital three days later (I would've gone earlier but I was writing exams) and once the doctor saw my condition I was admitted into hospital immediately. I was really scared, didn't understand what was going on and my parents were out of the country. I felt like I asked lots of questions but they were never really answered. The next day I went into surgery and when I came out I thought that would be the end of it and I'd be fine. Nothing could've prepared me for the hell I'm going through now. First few days I was vomiting, I couldn't keep anything down, just the smell of food made me sick and I had diarrhea. I couldn't walk, I was extremely nauseous and I kept leaking and  bleeding from my anus, staining the hospital gown and the bed. I was discharged from hospital after four days, literally dazed and confused. The only thing my doctor had told me was to eat plenty of fruits and fibre and drink water and take frequent sitz baths. Once I got home I had a high fever and couldn't leave my bed. The next few days it got better and I could walk around a bit more. There was also much less pain but then suddenly after the diarrhea stopped, I became constipated. It sent me completely backwards, I'm in constant pain and my bowel movements are so traumatising, the pain is indescribable. After the BMs I become dizzy, I can't walk and the pain is off the charts. I've been once more confined to my bed constantly fearing the moment I have to use the loo. My exit is nearly  swollen shut now and my temporary fecal incontinence seems to have gotten worse. I'm so miserable and I don't know what to do. Should I go back to the doctor? I'm really scared all this stress on the surgery site will leave permanent damage. And the pain is just far too much to bear. It's the holidays and all my friends are going out and having fun but I'm spending them in recovery. I'm so depressed and I can't sleep at night cause I've run out of sleeping pills. I'm so lost and scared. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your diet is most important!!! I am 4 weeks out and experienced similar issues!!! The fiber drinks gave me too much gas!!! My bum was also swollen shut and constipation !!! Brutally painful!!! I have slowly went back to limited solid food.... nothing starchy or binding (no dairy! Vanilla almond milk... with any veggies or fruits lots of pineapple!!! Dairy burns like hell coming out!! If you are still swollen freeze a hot dog wrap in a plastic clean sandwich bag and place between you cheeks.... you may want to tear a pillowcase and wrap over the baggie!!! Also a sport water bottle when you have a BM full with warm water and rinse or use during... slow down on the pain killers they will constipate you!!! Much luck !!! I feel ya!! 

NO Toilet paper !!! 

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advice!  My dad told me milk would help 😂 thank goodness I didn't listen to him. I'm feeling a lot better today, I tried squatting over the toilet instead and it made things a lot less painful. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.