Alone time & Anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I would really be interested to know how others deal with their anxiety when they have to be alone.

I know a lot of people prefer to be alone during times of high anxiety, while others (like myself,) just want to be with someone they trust such as family or a loved one.

Even so, we all have days when we have to be alone.

I find myself not being able to sit still or to relax...I also notice that my anxiety over my health is worse as I find myself focusing on it a lot more. I find I worry about it more and 'check' things to see if certain symptoms are worse, etc.

I am gettin a little better with all of this...because now when I focus on then I am aware that I am focusing on them and for why...I tell myself anxiety causes all of this, even the checking and especially feeling worse when alone.

I've tried things like hot baths, warm drinks, magazines and books and I put the tv on to something I enjoy watching, even if I'm only half watching it it is company at least.

I get a little frightened when I'm alone. I worry about things happening to those I love when I am away from them. I worry something will happen to me when I'm on my own as well.

I also tend to sit twitching and fidgeting a lot rather than actually relaxing rolleyes

I would love to hear how others cope and what you do to relieve your anxiety.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mopsy,

well being alone is a state of mind. You can be lonely in a room full of people

Keeping occupied when alone is also a state of mind in a sense

You have to be careful not to try to distract yourself in an attempt to "escape" your feelings, both emotional and physical

Because that smacks of fear

Whether you feel emotionally alone or have physical symptoms of anxiety or both, it is important to do something physical, whilst accepting how you feel as part of the AD/PD

It's no good thinking,

I'm all alone! What if I collapse!

My heart is pounding!

I feel faint! I feel dizzy!....Quick! Quick!

Get in the bath!

Put on the TV!

Read a book!

Do something! Do something, anything, to make it all go away!

You have to do something, anything, to distract from your emotional/physical distress, in a slow and calm manner whilst at the same time not piling fear upon fear and adding panic into the mix by the silent voice in your head saying. Oh please, God, make it all go away!

That voice in the head must be silenced and the only way to do that is to go into self-help mode

There is no quick escape route for AD/PD If you cannot overcome the fear. If you cannot accept that yes, you feel awful, but it won't last. It will go away if I ride it out, then you're stuck in the anxiety/fear/panic cycle

Sitting calm and still is difficult. I tend to twitch and fidget. At such times I let my shoulders drop, go into my Right Breathing and concentrate upon something, anything, the view from the window, thoughts of family, plans for the future

Diverting the mind from the body so to speak

As for something happening to you or a loved one, you cannot live life in a state of What If?

It's back to dealing with the here and now, this moment in time, as opposed to frighening yourself about impending disasters

Hugs Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.