Alteration of Taste

Posted , 14 users are following.

Been on prednisone/methylprednisolone for 2 years now for my PMR (currently on 11mg methyl).

I made a mug of coffee this morning and it tasted so salty that I had to throw it out. Made another mug and same deal.

Thinking it might be something at my house I went to a friends house and tried a cup there and again it was too salty for me to enjoy.

I think it might be the prednisone and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  BTW...Last night at dinner everything tasted fine.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have not had this happen. Been on Pred for 1 1/2 yrs.  
  • Posted

Hi Scotth42 I have not had a salty

Taste in my coffee, but since being on Predasolone , after a few weeks my tea dosent taste the same but it is not salty.

Good luck, in enjoying your coffee. 

• Posted

Hi, I haven't had the salty taste, but always a weird (not pleasant) taste in my mouth!  I brush my teeth a lot more and use mouthwash in between, which helps temporarily, but it always comes back!  I'm on 65mg of Prednisolone. 

• Posted

This is so funny to read your "salty" comment.

Was making ham sliders for potluck this afternoon & after several "quality control" taste I told my husband the ham was really salty & I was concerned about taking it to a potluck. He said its just you the ham is fine. I wondered then about the prednisone.

Last July I was diagnosed with GCA & PMR. Was put on 60 mg. of prednisone at that time.

Then lowered to 40 mg., then to 20mg., then back up to 25 mg. See my rheumatologist on Monday. Have had a very bad 2 months with GCA headaches. Was diagnosed with Sjogrens appx. 3 years ago.

Am supposed to start the acterma infusion on Thursday.

Just feel like I'm caught up in a big whirlwind right now.

I do believe what you are saying about the "salty" taste.

Was told on Thursday I now have diabetes.

• Posted

for me pred killed the taste of just about everything in the beginning. Now, about 2 years after and at lower dose, taste and sense of smell is coming back.  So it is true that pred can interfere with taste buds, but it may be different for different people. 

I never gain weight in the beginning, but now food taste soo good, I have to watch it smile

• Posted

That is so interesting! I also had a cuppa at a friends house and thought she had put salt instead of sugar. so I made the next one without sugar and it too was salty.

I have made a meal with soy sauce and it was so salty even though I only added a little.

how interesting! must be the prednisone

• Posted

I find that my sense of taste and smell is heightened since taking Pred. I noticed a salty taste in Greek Yoghurt which nobody else did. I then read the list of ingredients and sodium is listed, though a minute amount. My OH would say I've always had this extra sense of taste and smell but I think it is greater with Pred.

• Posted

I have heard people say they have had taste alterations, mostly from pred but also from the PMR it appears.

I don't have taste problems but since I never eat salted food at home - I don't use salt in cooking at all except the tiny amount that is in the herb mix i use for salad - when we eat out I find everything very salty and my feet swell up like footballs after 2 or 3 days eating out. I know - first worl problem!!!

• Posted

Actually the opposite, I find I want salt more now,  We don't own a salt shaker, so you know we never have added salt to our food, except minimum in cooking.

• Posted

I too seem to enjoy salted foods more than usual.  Don't usually.

• Posted

What doses of pred are you on? A craving for salt is a sign of poor adrenal function.
    • Posted

Right now at 3 mg.  And I am concerned about the adrenal function as I seem to be incredibly lazy.  Have decided, however, not to visit the doctor until the flu season has abated as my immune system has finally caved after several years of pred and think it unwise to enter a place where sick people are congregating. I will ask her when I see her.  Don't think I actually "crave" salt.  Started using a little more salt when I was worried about my faintness and irregular heartbeat (way back nearly two years ago, the doctor seemed to think no problem) and I think it did help me, but it's still not anything like a high salt diet.  We don't eat much in the way of prepared packaged foods.

• Posted

I believe faintness and irregular heart beat aren't unrelated...

• Posted

I've always liked salty things.  As a child even, liked things which seem to make adults cringe nowadays when I mention them, like marmite and patum peperium (the gentleman's relish), the latter made from anchovies.  But have never salted my food at the table unless it was really flavourless.  Rice needs to be cooked with salt, for example.  And as a young adult I learned to prefer oats with salt instead of something sweet, although when little I remember being rather partial to golden syrup!

• Posted

Fortunately that does seem to have largely gone away.  It was worst when I was at about 4 mg.  That was also when my shins were aching something awful.  Not a good time.  Every level of pred seems to come with its own set of side effects, for good or ill!  rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.