Alternatives to flouroquinolone antibiotics

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was given nitrofurantoin last year for urine infection. Got pins and needles in arms so dr gave me an alternative which was ok. The nerve problem got worse this year and to compound the problem my urine problem which has never really gon away flared up and I was hospitalised with urinary retention for which I was catheterised and given Ciprofloxacin which has increased all the nerve problems which also affect my legs. When my dr was informed he gave me another flouroquinolone Ofloxacin with the same really bad side affects. He says only these ab’s work for prostatitis which my problem was diagnosed with in hosp. Has anyone else experienced this and what alternatives have worked? Thanks for reading my first post!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not sure you meant it but the wording of your post suggests that nitrofurantoin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It is not. As to quinolone alternatives, it depends on the particular strain of bacteria you have and what the culture and sensitivity test shows. Once you have the list of antibiotics that work for your bacteria strain, then you want to discuss with your doctor which of those he thinks is best. You can look up the side effects but almost every side effect is listed for every antibiotic and the fact is that we all react differently. Personally I try and stay away from flouroquinoones but if I had a serious enough infection I'd probably take them if they gave me the best chance of recovery.

Jim

• Posted

Good evening Phil and welcome to the forum.  Never heard of some of these meds other them Ciprofloxacin I am giving that when I have a infection which I am dealing with now.  You said that you had a catheter out in or they just empty the bladder .  Have you ever considered CIC  it would help you when you need it and it will give you more freedom.  Sorry that your going through this  Ken
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Kenneth,  went to hospital as I couldn’t pee. Had trouble for a long time but never happened before or since so would not use CIC especially as this procedure was the worst medical experience of my life. Now also have a very sore feeling urethra along its full its full length as well as the usual burning and pain. Hope this clears up soon but also worrying about the nerve problems in arms and legs. Thanks for reading. Phil
  • Posted

Hey Phil.  Boy what a mess,  Looked up them.  louroquinolone is really bad.  Did you look it up before you started it.  After reading permanent nerve damage  I would have never taking it.  I hope thing get better for you  Ken
    • Posted

Cipro or it’s generic Ciprofloxacin is strong enough to kill Anthrax. Yet doctors have been prescribing it for everything from sinus infections to bladder infections and bronchitis.
  • Posted

Why is it doctor's don't automatically do a culture of bacteria to see what antibiotics the bacteria is sensitive to? I think that's where you need to start - insist on a culture because even if you are on Cipro you might still get a culture.

I am fighting a bacterial prostate infection in a crappy third world country and they did a culture - but the antibiotic I need isn't sold in the country.

Hence, I am on ciprobay and doxycycline right now. I have to wait 2 more weeks for the new correct antibiotic to be shipped in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.