Alternatives to Mirtazapine for Insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.  I would be curious to know what others have used for treating insomnia once off of Mirtazapine.  I was getting about 5-7 hours of sleep a night.  I can't say it was restful sleep as I would often wake up feeling nauseated and jittery.  I have Ativan (0.5 mg tabs), which I can take, but I would prefer not to go down that road if I can help it.  I've been told all these Z-drugs (Ambien, etc.) are horrible.  I would be interested in alternative, possibly ore natural sleep aids, e.g., melatonin, some people have claimed magnesium helps.  What about over the counter meds such as Nytol or Sominex?  I would really appreciate your feedback during this difficult time.  Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. John. 

I was prescribed Promithazine ( Phenegen B ) 25mg. It’s an antihistamine, and it works for me.  It’s not a Z drug so no nasty withdrawals. You can buy it over the counter in the uk but your Gp/psych would prescribe.

They give it too patients, in hospital, the night before an operation. 

I hope it works for you. Vikki

• Posted

As vicky said. Anti histamines are good. So ia magnesium and camomile tea.

Mirt acts on the histamine receptor and loads of others. Best stick with just anti histamine if you can

Meditation is good too.

• Posted

When I was in hospital I was given a blue tablet at night to help me sleep. I found out it's called PHENERGAN & you can buy over the counter.

• Posted

Hi John, actually I've tried Nytol. obviously I wouldn't combine it with mirtazapine. but I did combine it with paroxetine maybe about once or twice a week. I checked that with my GP and they didn't bat an eyelid. BUT it depends I think how you are. Nytol helps with a pure sleep problem but not when it's sleeplessness due to episodes of depression, anxiety etc - in that case all it does is leave me awake and groggy. One advantage of nytol is that it's not addictive, so you can take it one night, not the next, again on the one after, etc. But I'd guess if the insomnia is connected to any other mental health issue, that the Nytol won't do the trick. I have a friend who takes an Ativan like about once a week or so the way I've used Nytol and that's good for you. If you could use it that way, not every night, it would probably help at least on those nights when you just have to sleep for work etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.