Am at my wits end

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't spoke to me mum for about 5 years. I tried for years to try and make it work she was never a great parent. So me brother said you need ring me so I did. Only to receive news that my step dad is dying of cancer and only has months to live. I am devasted and can't get me head round it. Now I feel guilty that I wasted all them years. I did try I k ow this. So I went to see them spent few days with them. Now me mum is constant on phone and now I am more confused all these years and she didn't want to know. I know I have to do the right thing and help my mum and step dad and will help me. Mum after, I feel so much pressure and my depression is git worse. One I can't handle him dying and I don't know how to feel about me mum. I always loved me mum and wanted what ever mum and daughter wanted. But at this cost I feel lost and don't k ow how to handle it. I just wanna runaway. Me brother been useless I said I can't do this all meself just feel so low

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Oh heck Donna, what an awful situation

Don't ever blame yourself, you didn't know you didn't keep anyone in the dark, your mum did this and she's now speaking to you out of guilt. Your brother is lower than low, isn't that his step-dad too. Death is such a difficult individual thing for everyone. You think about you and if you got on with your step-dad too. Take it 1 step at a time, i only say this not as a blase comment but because when my dad died, our world collapsed. I am still convinced that part of me died the day he went. It would have been his birthday tomorrow, i still don't forget. Losing a parent is like losing no-one else. You never get used to it quickly/at all and why should you? If people don't mind that is your parent! Do what you need to but mostly look after yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.