Am I addicted to painkillers?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer depression largely due to experiencing long term health conditions that cause me a lot of pain. I can't stop taking Dihydracodine tablets I've been prescribed. I now take them when I'm not in pain as they make me feel good. This is the first step in acknowledging I have s problem. Has this happened to anyone else?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been suffering depression for a long time. I do not take anything for it. I do not want really want to take anything as I would be concerned that it may not make any difference to my depression.
  • Posted

Hi Ally,

Ive not been in that situation and I'm sorry for all the pain your in.

I have been on antidepressants now for 16 yrs. I have changed the drug throughout the yrs but I found it so difficult to come off them each time. I would make an appointment with your GP and they will advice of a method/ strategy of which they can wean you off them slowly. This may involve changing to another form of pain relief in the future.

I'm sorry I'm not much help but I really hope you get somewhere.

Best wishes

Vicky

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

I really appreciate your message. The problem is I don't need the tablets so much for pain now but they help my mood. Not good I know. I thought saying it on here may help to stop.

I wish you well with your own difficulties.

Thanks again ally x

• Posted

Hey no worries, that's why I think your GP can help. They will wean you from that medication and advice on another that can help your mood.

You did great to speak out on here.

Best wishes

Vicky x

• Posted

Hang in there, Ally. Please tell a close friend and a trusted doctor what you just said here. You're going to get through this. I'll be praying for you.

KirkĀ  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.